More Deer in the EUP

steeliebob

Funny that the DNRE puts an article like this in the ST Ignace News just before deer season opens. Okay DNRE just where are all of these deer hiding at? I live in the EUP and am out in the woods hunting and fishing alot am I missing something? I don't see any deer up here. Your story mentions a reduction in the deer population because of severe winters but nowhere does in mention the significant impact that your golden child the wolf has had on the deer. I just went back and checked several of my old deer hunting spots. Not a deer track, no droppings, no scrapes no buck rubs, not a single deer sign. Just where are all of these deer hiding at that you guys in Lansing are bragging about????

Amen brother.

I've been in the woods 90+ hours this year and the closest I have gotten to anything was 60 yards from a small 6 point buck, and I bet I've only gotten to look at 12 deer all year.

It's not just a UP thing.

HMMMM, maybe they should let us feed them again and the population would be healthier.

That reminds me of what a friend told me some years back when he was led to believe there were great numbers of deer near Newberry.....on his return he told me he felt the deer population near Newberry was exactly the same as it was out in the middle of Lake Superior.....O! :lol:

I think we are all being duped in the name of selling licenses . I normally see on a slow year anywere from 50 to 60 deer running around in small heards in my area. this year I have seen no more then 2 to 3 at a time. Cross bow hunting along with the early doe season has taken its toll on my area and if you look at my area it is considered prime habitat. Neighbors selling his 38 acres and leased it to some folks from the city and they took 8 small does during early doe season with cross bows. along with an ever increasing amount of poaching going on in my area with cross bows. I belive that was half the doe populating for my hunting area. Top that with less enforcement due to budget cuts and you have the perfect formula for wiping out our deer heard which is were I belive we are headed.

Some areas you see alot of deer but it is very isolated. but even in those areas not hunted I see alot less deer then in prevous years. I think it will have to get really bad before it will get fixed.

We quit hunting the u.p. because of all the wolves and no deer. We used to hunt southern Delta county and it was great but not any more. This year we are going to the Atlanta area around Avery Lake. I'm sure it's not going to be that great but I hope to see a deer or two. Never hunted around there, around the Avery Lake area. Hope it's not a real popular spot with tons of people running around.

Just a couple of days before the 15th and I am debating wether or not to go. The steelhead fishing is picking up real good and I love to catch steelhead. I think that I will hang onto the $500 I had saved for deer hunting this year. So sorry DNRE you will not get my money to feed your wolves in the name of Quality Deer Management.

We quit hunting the u.p. because of all the wolves and no deer. We used to hunt southern Delta county and it was great but not any more. This year we are going to the Atlanta area around Avery Lake. I'm sure it's not going to be that great but I hope to see a deer or two. Never hunted around there, around the Avery Lake area. Hope it's not a real popular spot with tons of people running around.

One of the deer in my avatar came from Delta County....had a chance at at least 3 of the same size. We bought some land near the Atlanta area 10 years ago, and have yet to score even a spike. I'm headed back to Delta.

what part of Delta? Garden Peninsula? We've just had no luck lately up there. Hope we see something more than spikes!! Your not giving me too much confidence there Steve :( Oh well, a week in the woods is worth it regardless!!

what part of Delta? Garden Peninsula? We've just had no luck lately up there. Hope we see something more than spikes!! Your not giving me too much confidence there Steve :( Oh well, a week in the woods is worth it regardless!!

Yes, we farmed close to 2,000 acres on the Garden Peninsula, dad retired and sold it about 1993 (?) so I had access to some great hunting. I still go back up there and hunt with some friends on their private land.

Here's a better pic of my Garden Peninsula buck shot off our farm.

214.jpg

Garden Peninsula has great hunting. Wander north of US-2 about 10 or so miles into the federal forest, the deer are scarce. It's a shame and the DNRE has the balls to say they didn't plant the wolves they "wandered" in from Wisconsin and Minnesota. Ya right!! They paid all that money to get rid of them years ago and then bring them back. Like some Yoopers told me years back "Shoot, Shovel and shutup". Now they're crossing into the Lower to top it off. Give it 20 years and this whole state is going to be over run with them.

Heidi, You are exactly right, six miles of ice will not keep the wolves out of the lower penninsula. Once the deer population is severly reduced in the Upper Penninsula they will look elsewhere for food or pick a different kind of prey. They are not an animal that dies of starvation too often. If you read the DNR wolf management report it sounds like the DNRE expects them and wants them in the Lower Penninsula. For the first time in 20 years I will not be deer hunting this year due primarily to the lack of deer and the abundunce of wolves.

Good Job!! Your lucky you get to hunt down in the Garden Peninsula!! Good thing it's not like the rest of the U.P. so your season wasn't a bust. There are some places in the U.P. that have fantastic hunting....to bad they are so few and far between. But then again, who would want the entire U.P. to be farmland...I sure don't! I love God's country even though the deer are going on the brink of extinction!