Wire diver steup questions

Ok I ordered some chaimbelin relese now its on to geting my wire divers.

I am looking for some thoughts on the rods I am seting up.

I was thinking of som CV30d's with 600' and 50lbs backing.

Is there a differance between 600' and haveing 1000' spooled?

I found new gander moutain brand 8'6" M roller rods for $75

was it worth it to get these or do i need something else?

I only make out salmon fishing 1 or 2 weekends a month, as most of my time is spent walleye fishing sag bay and erie.

Thanks Steve

I run 600ft with backing have never been taken to the backing. The only thing I dislike about the Gander Rods I looked at was the swivel tip, the reason is I have seen them go all the way around wrap the rod tip and break it off. First thing to do with your wire line rods is put on a pound or more of weight let them all the way out while trolling and reel them back in this gets a more even wrap in the line on the reel and helps prevent having it dig in.

Steve I'm not a fan of ganders rods, or cabelas for that matter, for 75.00 you can get Okuma Blue Diamond rods instead. I just setup 2 rods with the blue diamond and CV45Ds very nice setup. 700-800ft of 80# braid and 500ft of wire. Just make sure you get the (MH) rods. mine are 8'6" . and should work well right next to my 10'6" braid divers. You can get the rods and reels here.

http://stores.ebay.com/BRETTS-PLACE-ON-THE-BAY

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/bretts

Some good deals here.

Questions just let me know. 2011 will be my first year with copper and wire.

On my copper setup I am using magpros 45dx and Diawa 8'6" wilderness rods. again make sure you use the (MHR) .

I have a set of 10ft Blue Diamond roller rods I will have at the swap meet along with a bunch of extra stuff I don't use.

OK this leads me to another question I wanted to ask.

Do I need to have shorter rods for my low divers? I was looking for 8'6" or 9' rods to seperate thr to rod tips in the holders.

thanks Steve

Steve, I would stay away from the cheaper roller rods. I had a ton of issues with cheaper roller rods. There is too much room between the rollers and the frame and the wire jumps off and gets caught. For the same price you could get a JR rod that has tungsten guides. No rollers needed. Or you could get a regular diver rod and put a new tip on it. I have used Twilli tips before and they work fine. But last year I tried a roller tip from Torpedo and really liked them. There is a lot less tension on the wire. You could get a Daiwa Heartland diver rod and a Torpedo tip for the same price as the roller rods you are looking at. I am considering a pair of Shimano Talora roller rods for next year, but they are $ 200 each. The reason I am thinking about them is because you can get them in 7' length and I have been trying to use shorter rods. As far as the wire I just use 1000'. I liked the Daiwa Sealines better than the Convectors for wire dipseys, the drag seems smoother. But I would add the power handle. I have been out over 600' on the counter on my wire rods before, plus there is 1 less knot to worry about. I used the 19 strand Torpedo wire last year and didn't see any advantages or disadvantages versus the 7 strand. I do know where you can get a heck of a deal on a Tekota/Heartland/Torpedo wire/tip combo though. It's in about 100' of water just north of the first set of nets off Muskegon!

I like the blue diamonds also. You can change the tip on the rod for another 20 bucks to the torpedo tip that is the same as the aftco swivel tip that rums 60- 80 bucks. The nice thing i found on the torpedo tip is they have a small guide built into the tip that keeps the wire centered better then the aftco tip. You don;t have to upgrade them right away but the extra 20 bucks makes it a lot nicer to deal with wire.

link to tips on torpedo divers site:

https://www.torpedodivers.com/scart/product_details.asp?ItemNum=H0010

The only advantage you get with a roller rod is less drag on the line and longer life due to not wearing the guides out. A Twillie tip on any rod you own will get you started with wire once you get used to it you can buy a better rod which is what I am doing next spring I just don't know if I will buy Convectors or Talora rods just yet will be up to my budget at the time. I am also going to shorter rods probably 8ft or 8.5ft.

I got a pair of Blue Diamond roller rods last winter, with Diawa reels spoolled with a 1000' of wire, worked well with the regular size Divers, But when we switched out to the mag divers, started having allot of lost fish on hook-ups, and broken 30lbs mono leaders, and when I started looking closer and thiking about it the rods did not have enough backbone to pull the mags and with the direct connect to the fish was causing the problem, these rods were the 8'6" MH rods, went back to my 10'6" Diawa diver rods with the 50lbs power pro and the problem went away with the mags, I got about 3-5' more of depth with the wire verses the braid but was'nt worth loosing any more lures or Meat Rigs(ouch) If I get any more Wire set ups they will have a much stiffer backbone than the Blue Diamonds have, Just my 2cents worth.

you need to go at least 40 lb leaders mine are on all 50 lb when using mags. doesn't matter what rod you use there is just no stretch at all in that wire. also you have to use a good dreamweaver type snubber. i cut my teeth on wire with luhr jensen snubbers and lots of lost gear. Switched to 50 lb and dreamweaver snubbers and my hook up rate and lost gear rate went right up. I wont fish without my wire diver and i use both the 8'6 blue diamonds for my lows and my 10' for my highs. Also use good high quality swivels like the dreamweavers or a 50 lb sampo. on the leaders.

Line Dancin, I do have dreamweaver snubbers on the mags, I believe they are 12" clear, I forgot and left that out of my reply, What I ran into was the rod had not give left to it when the mags were pulling on them, the arch of the rod went from the tip to the handle, and no its not becuase I was pulling to fast as that time of year I was pulling meat rigs and keep the speed at the ball around 2.1 to 2.5 depending on what the fish want, the 50 lbs leaders that I do run now, would have probably helped, but not on the lost fish while trying to get rod out of the holder, problem went away when I switch back to the Braid diver rods that had a better backbone, just my experiance I guess, but I'm not to impressed with the Blue Diamonds.

I do know where you can get a heck of a deal on a Tekota/Heartland/Torpedo wire/tip combo though. It's in about 100' of water just north of the first set of nets off Muskegon!

May be I'll start my trawling there next summer:lol: