DR release questions

Ok, Every time this question comes up, blacks are highly touted, I just don't understand it. I've used them on other boats and I currently have a chamberlain on my probe rigger on mine and I can honestly state that I DO NOT find them at all easy to use compared to my vastly preferred scotty pinch pads.

What exactly is it about those releases that everybody loves so much? I don't like them at all and the first thing I'll be doing in the spring is taking that chamberlain off my probe rigger and figuring out some way to use a Scotty that won't damage to coated cable.

sorry to hijack the thread, but I am truly curious, because I just don't see it.

Tim

I've never used a pincher that would allow me to load the rod at tight as the Blacks do. I thing the black are very easy to use, adjust, and they don't pinch you line. Since switching to the Blacks, out hook up ratio went way up.

Im with Ken, i hate pinch pads. Nothing worse than getting the rigger down there and it pops when loading the rod. Blacks style releases allow for tons load on the rod, but release even with small fish. I used to fish allot of rubber bands, but got tired of always having to buy rubber bands, plus theyre going in the lake once they bust.

try the scottys, you can absolutely load the crap out of them and never get a false release, they are easier to set than the blacks style and you never have to worry about dragging around skips, you see them telegraphed to the rid tip, every time.

typical loaded scotty release

P5300002.jpg

Tim

I am in the pinch pad camp I have blacks glued shut on my cable above the ball and run Off Shore pinch pads. I can switch from light to medium or heavy to match what I am running getting load on rod is no problem and shakers are easy to see. On my last trip we were pulling lines saw my port rigger bounce thinking we were in to shallow I asked how deep we were and checked the rigger depth as soon as Steve told me how deep we were I set down the rod I was reeling in and grabbed the rigger rod with a nice smaller Steelhead on it. When I ran the Blacks I dragged a lot of small fish never happens with the pinch pads unless something gets tangled. One thing I tell everyone don't worry about how to catch fish with my gear figure out how to do it with yours. Every thing has it's place.

I'm done with the Bands believe me we don't need anything more polluting the lakes, so many balloons, bags and crap in the water, I couldn't do it anymore... went to blacks.. and I'm going to order some Chamberlains..

I like Blacks for running blades down deep (past 70') but that's a personal thing- was told not to use Chamberlain that deep. Scotty pinch pads are great also, but repeatability of your setting is kinda iffy, especially on a boat that is pitching and rolling a bunch. Bands are ok, but are subject to scrutiny for littering and bilge pump fouling.....good for consistant setting though so I can see how people would like them. Chamberlain releases seem to be the perfect solution and I do own a set that I have yet to use (boat was sidelined this year). Releases are such a personal preference thing that you just need to use what you feel comfortable with.

• 5 months later...

i read as much as i could find on dr releases. i had tried alot of different ones over the years including some home made ones. and was useing rubberbands. the blacks sounded pretty good for larger fish. but everything i read about the chamberlain was good. i never read anything bad from anybody that had actualy used them. i only fish lake erie and we get a bunch of small fish. with the 2 adjustments on the chamberlain,s they really sounded good for anyone who has a problem with small fish. so i bought them, and played with them in the pole barn. i adjusted them where i could crank the rod tip down to the water line and still just tug on the lure and it would trip. they are alot like the blacks except they have the extra adjustment. i could see where they might be a problem fishing real deep with big flashers. but with all the positive,s i,ve heard about them there worth the investment. the last time i checked you could get them for 12.99 at midwesthuntersoutlet.com. or you can watch a video of the release and see the great looking stacker he,s sopposed to have ready in may, and contact the inventor and get 6 for 17.00 each at downriggerrelease.com. thats where i got mine. the guys name is keith and i just liked him. so thats why i paid alittle more. good luck and have a great season to all of you.

....sherman....

I hate the blacks style releases myself. I use the Scotty pinch pad style releases (Powergrips?) you can load the crap out of your rods and get ZERO false releases, yet with the long tethers, if a fish or shaker even sniffs the lure, it is clearly telegraphed to the rod. never drag a shaker, EVER.

Tim

Me too, couldn't have said it better myself. I've caught big slob lakers that barely showed a bump on my scottys and you would have drug them all day on a blacks.