DR release questions

Ok I am contemplating changing DR releses. I have used Off Shore ball and stacker releases that need to be replaced. I have seen some rubber band releases but are there any other good oness.

Nick, what type were you using when we were out with you.

Thanks Steve

Check out the Black's release. Easy to adjust and easy to use. The only time I use rubber bands is when I am using light line rigger rods. In that situation I half hitch the rubber band onto the line and put the other end into my Black's release.

I have the Blacks, I have used the band buster that comes with bigjons and I didn't care for them one bit.I have also used Cannon pinch pad releases. of the three I would go with the blacks Hands down.You can Adjust the tension for the release to suit your needs. Also they won't break the bank.

I've been using the walker barrel type for years. and i am going to the chamberlains this year. My friend that runs a charter boat on erie uses them. Those things if set right will release with a silver bass, and you can preload them like crazy. I agree on band buster i hated when my dad used them or used rubber bands for stackers. just a big mess to deal with and if left in the sun they melt and make a bigger mess.

I use blacks and dubros (same thing). My dad just got a chamberlains and I think from what I have heard that is the way to go (if you can afford them). It would be nice on the blacks to be able to adjust the tension for up release and fish release separately, which is available on teh chamberlains.

You can use rubber bands on the blacks for smaller fish, but as ken said, they make a mess. If you are starting from scratch, I'd say go chamberlains.

I use blacks and dubros (same thing). My dad just got a chamberlains and I think from what I have heard that is the way to go (if you can afford them). It would be nice on the blacks to be able to adjust the tension for up release and fish release separately' date=' which is available on teh chamberlains.

You can use rubber bands on the blacks for smaller fish, but as ken said, they make a mess. If you are starting from scratch, I'd say go chamberlains.[/quote']

they are a little more,but they will last for ever,unless you break a cable.anybody that likes the blacks will love the chamberlains,same concept with a lot better adjustment.

I hate the blacks style releases myself. I use the Scotty pinch pad style releases (Powergrips?) you can load the crap out of your rods and get ZERO false releases, yet with the long tethers, if a fish or shaker even sniffs the lure, it is clearly telegraphed to the rod. never drag a shaker, EVER.

Tim

I have walker barrel releases right now that I got to use once this season and I liked them for the time I used them. I must say though, those Chamberlains look really nice.

The do a great job. Like Jay mentioned, you can load up the rod tip down to the ball, and set the release behind the ball for lite bites. I actually bought them to use for walleye, and they worked very well compared to any other release that I had used in the past.

Rubberbands will increase you hookups on rigger hits by far use 31s make sure you cintch down the knot good and at $1.45 a box there cheap and u dont even need band busters just attach a large snap swivel or a length or think aluminium bailing wire to the end of your ball its worked for me for 30 years + and ive used them all and have still to find a better method although offshore reds work nice they seem to be tough on the line.

I'll offer a different opinion for consideration.

I have Chamberlains and I like them a lot for laker fishing, where you fish deep, can have shakers get on, and don't change baits frequently. But, I don't care for them at all for salmon.

Scotty pinch pads are great, easy and fast to set, relatively cheap, and can be loaded quite heavy. Very simple and effective.

I used Walkers for years and also like them, but not as well as the Scotty's. Have also used Big Jons and Canon's.

Never wanted to mess with rubber bands, so that's one setup I haven't tried.

I've heard very good things about the scottys, we are going to give them a run next season.

A #16 rubber band works Very VERY well for salmon, not so good for lakers, and the best part about the bands is they are very cheap. a 4pk of small S-hooks and a pk of the bands and your set for the season for under $4.

Dump the stackers. Too much stuff in one area. Add a diver or core/copper to replace that rod. Chamberlains or Blacks, rubber bands make a mess.

I am dumping the stackers and tring sliders next season and adding some copper/core and a diver.

Steve

Ok, Every time this question comes up, blacks are highly touted, I just don't understand it. I've used them on other boats and I currently have a chamberlain on my probe rigger on mine and I can honestly state that I DO NOT find them at all easy to use compared to my vastly preferred scotty pinch pads.

What exactly is it about those releases that everybody loves so much? I don't like them at all and the first thing I'll be doing in the spring is taking that chamberlain off my probe rigger and figuring out some way to use a Scotty that won't damage to coated cable.

sorry to hijack the thread, but I am truly curious, because I just don't see it.

Tim