Indians spearing!

slickwater

I have seen it all now. Last week I was salmon fishing in Petoskey and landed a nice hen full of eggs. So I let her go above the falls. I was yelled at by some other fishermen that there was an Indian with a spear. And as I turned around he speared the fish i just let go.This is so wrong. What is wrong with this country.

They can do just about everything except throw dynamite at them. I will give the Sault Tribe credit that they do plant loads of fish in the EUP so I don't complain when they catch a few. Even if it is with a net or snag hook. I have not seen anyone spear one yet though. I bet that one tasted real good too, it probably fell apart when he got it to shore.

my opinion all this equal rights for everyone, oh we took your land and oh, we made you guys slaves so we owe you the world crap needs to STOP. I have absolutely no problem with ANY race but please people, it's 2010 already! Enough of this b.s., what's good for one should be good for all!! EQUAL RIGHTS, I don't think so any more. I'm sorry if this offends any one but think about. Really, is it equal rights when one race can spear fish and another can't. Or only a certain color of skin can go to certain colleges. Please, equal rights for who?

Yes equal rights(but that will never happen). One of my friends dads said they should fish like they did years ago. Having to use birch bark canoes none of these diesel engine boats.And they should have to put back what they take. Also they even have more hunting rights than we do. And we are paying for with our hunting and fishing license fees. They don't pay for nothing to hunt and fish.

my opinion all this equal rights for everyone, oh we took your land and oh, we made you guys slaves so we owe you the world crap needs to STOP. I have absolutely no problem with ANY race but please people, it's 2010 already! Enough of this b.s., what's good for one should be good for all!! EQUAL RIGHTS, I don't think so any more. I'm sorry if this offends any one but think about. Really, is it equal rights when one race can spear fish and another can't. Or only a certain color of skin can go to certain colleges. Please, equal rights for who?

I agree 100%.They have no right to piss and moan anymore.:no:

You can bring this up on your computers, go to the MDNRE website and look ah how many fish that the MDNRE plants in Emmett, Cheboygan, Mackinac, and Chippewa Counties and compare that with the Triblal Plants. Not defending the tribe but damn the tribe puts in 100 fish to every one that the DNRE plants. If I could I would be buying my license from the tribe.Like I have mentioned in other posts the MDNRE runs a presidential motorcade of hatchery trucks to the SW lower penninsula. The rest of the state gets the bottom of the barrell. I would wager that anymore 25% or more of the planted fish come from special interest groups.

I don't care who plants the fish, actually, the rules should be for everyone. They don't let us catch fish by any means we want and it's our tax and license dollars going to fund the DNRE fisheries. Like I said, the situation was unfortunate years ago, but it's 2010 almost 2011, what's good for one is good for all.

On your search engine type in Nunns Creek Hatchery and go to the top listing about tribal hatcheries. You would be amazed at how many fish are planted by the tribes. Give them another 10 years and they will be way ahead of the DNR. What is interesting is that the tribe will go out of their way to make sure that the fish they plant don't wind up in a bunch of sea gulls bellies. They actually plant fish under the ice, at night, and through a slow release off from boats. I have spent 10 years trying to get the DNR to plant brown trout in Northern Lake Huron and Michigan. I have not had any luck with the DNR. If I were to present the same request to a member of the Sault Tribe Conservation Committee I would be willing to bet that within a year or two some brown trout get planted.

The tribes do a ton of work involving fish studies and habitat studies which is presented to the DNR. It is easier for them to do this with the grant monies they receive from the feds and it benifits EVERYONE not just the "Redskins". Thank your forfathers for what they agreed to.