trolling chart book questions

tring to decide what to add to my spread next year and started getting confused when I looked at the percision trolling guide.

I have the presion big water edition and I was reading it today. According to the book a 300' 45lbs copper @ 2.0 is at about the same depth as a full core. And a 124 walker dive dives faster on the 2 setting than the 3.

On the divers I would assume that it is just a mix up of the color lines and setting. But what about the copper and core. I thought a full core was about a 150' copper.

What do you think

A full and half core run (depth)

And a 150' and 300' 45lbs copper run

Thanks Steve

Steve the diver will dive faster on a 2 setting. faster yet on a 1 setting. 124 mag divers will dive about %50 of line out on a 1 setting and around %33 (1 to 3 ratio) of line out on a 2.5 setting.

This year we got a bunch of fish on our 250, and 350 copper (runs about 70-80 feet down).

A good way to gain depth is to run a plug on the copper, and loose depth with a flasher/fly.

Copper is a great tool to add this year. Check out Blood Run Tackle. They are local and good. The 32 pound copper is the easiest to use.

I have come to the conclusion that leadcore typically dives about 4' per color, so roughly full core (10 color) is around 40' deep.

for "45lb" Copper sinks approx. 7'-9' for every 10 yards. which should land the lure btwn70 & 90' deep

tring to decide what to add to my spread next year and started getting confused when I looked at the percision trolling guide.

I have the presion big water edition and I was reading it today. According to the book a 300' 45lbs copper @ 2.0 is at about the same depth as a full core. And a 124 walker dive dives faster on the 2 setting than the 3.

On the divers I would assume that it is just a mix up of the color lines and setting. But what about the copper and core. I thought a full core was about a 150' copper.

What do you think

A full and half core run (depth)

And a 150' and 300' 45lbs copper run

Thanks Steve

Treblemaker covered this on a different forum at one time. There is a possibility that the deployment method by the books author could cause the an error in the true running depth of the copper. When testing they deploy at a high rate of speed to save time. Then they slow down to the registered speed and take the measurement. The amount of time elasped between the slow down and the measurement could be critical in getting accurate fishing conditions depth since high speeds cause the copper to run much higher.

I would get into copper for sure and not sure if you have any but the walker deep divers produce more fish for me that any other brand. Dont bother with slide divers they suck.

If you got a good program down, dont focus so much on adding versus improving on what you already have down.

If you are not already start running meat, holy cow do the cut plugs box fish!

Edited by Salmon Assassin
i dont spells so gud

This year I ran 2 DR with stackers 20' apart. Next year I am going to try sliders to eliminate 2 rods at the back of the boat. I ran 2 124 walkers on 30lbs braid. Next year I am going to try 1 wire dive and if I can get that to work w/o tangles I get another. A 300' and a 150' copper on walleye boards. Next year i want to add a 200' & a 250'. Also I would like to get some 3 and 5 cores for spring coho since I am going to be leaving a boat in St joe for april and may next year. Also I wll try meat next year I just have to find out what and where to get it.

Steve

Steve, Make sure the copper rods have nice big eyelets. Get a roll of 1000' 32#. When you get the need to set up two long copper, you will already have it. Rather than keep buying rods, I started to just swap reels on the existing rods. Penn 330 gti will hold 350' of 32# copper with about 1000' of braid backer. This setup will run about 70' down.

Blood run also has diver wire. I use it on my high divers with out any issues.

It's like the rest of us. Always want more to put in the spread. I've said it before, every tactic I try has it's days. Somedays the dispys are dead, others it's the lead and the CU. And this can be the same with lures. I've had days where I wished I had more meat rigs, and others that meat rigs didn't do squat....it's good to have a diverse tackle box that you can adjust your spread once the fish tell you what they want..

Thanks Ken I was thinkng about reel swaping to reduce the number of rods on the boat. I have some 6'6 MH heavy Ugly sticks that I used on my copper this year. I also checked out the blood run web site and would probably get the wire from them.

I would like to try to run 2 lines per side this year.

How many rods do people run on each side?

I can run 4 per side walleye fishing w/o tangles but they are only 100' back max.

Thanks Steve

Walleye fishing I usually run 4 per side on the big boards, I also run a down and out along with 2 riggers of the back. If conditions will allow I try and put a big spread out.

Trolling salmon I have been running 3 per side on the boards, 2 dipsy's per side and 2 or 3 riggers. I round it out the best that I can to maximize and utilize every attack method and then adjust once the fish start biting.