Wire vs copper

jimcr

Ken, I have not used any of the 32# yet. I have only used 45# from Opti and Howie's. I am currently running all super copper from Howie's. I did notice that the Howie's copper is a little thinner than the Blood Run copper, .036 compared to .038.

The 32# is .030 dia. I switch over after I lost my 300 Howie's supper to the bottom of the lake. The 350' 32# fit's on the reel better (Penn 330gti), and still gets me down where the fish where.

I'll try to make this the last question on this topic, how or what kind of knot do you use to tie on a dipsey to wire. I have figured out the albright knot. and can get a backer on for the wire. Is it possible to use crimps to make a loop and use a crosslock snap?

A lot of people i know use this knot:

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

if you have more questions or doudts don't be afraid to ask about it. you dont have to make it your last question because you think you are asking too many.

Yes this knot. One added tip; Install a medium sized bead on the line before making the knot. When reeling in the line, reel it tight to the bead.

Albright Knot.

Always tie the small around the big. Splice in a piece (3-6') of 30-40 pound mono between the braid and copper.

I usually add about 15 ft of 40 pound that way when you have to cut out a bad section(sometimes the releases wear on the line and it will start to show) from where you keep placing the board you only cut out the section that is bad and tie one knot. just a little quicker to get back in action.

i use a #10 (? not exactly sure) Spro swivel to attach my copper to my main line and leader. Attach the copper to the swivel by simply twisting the copper around itself, there is a name for this but i can't remember this right now either. The swivel is small enough to travel through the eyes and into the reel with no problems. Never had a failure with this.

just another option

Ken by your pictures it looks like your using some #12 copper electric wire. Nice pictures, is the super copper finer than the 45, I know you guys use this all the time , but from a newbies perspective it doesn't look like it will hold up. (haywire twist).

Did you add some shrink tube to the twist? Does it get through the guides ok?

Haywire twist with swivel.

Last year before going to the 32 pound Blood Run, I had the 45 pound Howie's break off at the Albright knot. The copper broke, not the mono.

The swivel may be a better choice?

I had problems with the howies copper breaking also. about two years ago. No matter what you did it broke at the knot. Talked to michelle at gold coast and she had heard of the same thing. Went out there as she wanted to try it out and it was breaking tying the knot. She contacted howies and they never replied if there was a problem. I switched to opti copper and never had that problem again.

i have been doing the haywire twist for 4-5 years now. it does seem at first glance to be something you can not trust but i have never had any issues. the twist and swivel has no problem going through eyes, reels as long as its small enough. i think the Spro swivels i use are either 35 or 50 pound test and super small.

I had problems with the howies copper breaking also. about two years ago. No matter what you did it broke at the knot. Talked to michelle at gold coast and she had heard of the same thing. Went out there as she wanted to try it out and it was breaking tying the knot. She contacted howies and they never replied if there was a problem. I switched to opti copper and never had that problem again.

This is the first I have heard about problems with Howie's copper. I have been using Howie's copper for three of four years now without a problem. Has anyone else run into problems with the Howie's copper, or any other brand. Hopefully if there is an issue they can get it resolved. I would feel like a traitor if I had to get copper from another company since Howie's is located right in Sturgeon Bay.

I copped the pic's from another site. I have not used the haywire yet, but it looks like a great way to go. After using the 32# blood run I will not go back to the 45#. I have 3 reels still with the 45# that are getting switched asap. Other than two 1/2 core rods, all my long lines will be 32# copper next year.

This is the first I have heard about problems with Howie's copper. I have been using Howie's copper for three of four years now without a problem. Has anyone else run into problems with the Howie's copper, or any other brand. Hopefully if there is an issue they can get it resolved. I would feel like a traitor if I had to get copper from another company since Howie's is located right in Sturgeon Bay.

It waslooking back to when i switched to opti and it was about 5 or 6 years ago when i first started using copper. After using the opti i never had a need to go back to opti. Tackle haven sold me on it. It is a tenth of a thou thicker with a tighter twist is what i was told and will achieve the 80 - 90 ft easier. Dont know is it is true. Just what i was told when i was starting to use it and had issues.

I copped the pic's from another site. I have not used the haywire yet, but it looks like a great way to go. After using the 32# blood run I will not go back to the 45#. I have 3 reels still with the 45# that are getting switched asap. Other than two 1/2 core rods, all my long lines will be 32# copper next year.

I was talking with a charter captain and he told me that it is very important that when you twist the copper that both sides of the copper are twisted ,not one around the other. He also told me that I should keep my leadcore because there will be days that the fish won't touch the copper or wire, But will take leadcore.

Edited by jimcr
more

I He also told me that I should keep my leadcore because there will be days that the fish won't touch the copper or wire, But will take leadcore.

Correct on this. i still keep a couple half core and full cores on board. but for the most part copper almost always takes fish.