Wire vs copper

jimcr

What are the different applications for wire and copper? Is it really nessary to have a twillie tip , or rollers?

I am waiting to purchase 2 rods ready to go but I am undecided which I should go with.

I was thinking about running dipsy with the wire .

Comments?

Copper is used like lead core. it is a weighted line to get your lure to depth. Most guys use 45 lb test as it is thicker and gets deeper than the 35 lb test. This is a soft wire and you can use any rod with it. you do have to use a larger reel than lead core to achieve the same depth but half the line.

75 ft runs about 20 ft deep

150' is equivelant to a full core reaching about 40 ft

and 300 ft reaches about 80 ft

you cannot run a diver on copper as it is too soft.

Wire you need a twilli tip or a roller rod. Torpedo diver is marketing a roller guide made very similar to the aftcos (maybe even made by afco for them i sure cant see much of a difference) used on the expensive shimano rods. I tested a couple this year and am very pleased with them and am putting two more on my other two wire rods. they about 20 bucks and better then a twilli tip. Wire is a very thin diameter and cuts the water better than mono or braid achieveing greater depth. also when running extremly long lines on divers the wire is easier to release the diver. Some claim that wire gives off a harmonic sound drawing fish to it. all that i know is sometime wire is on fire and other days it doesn't do that great. Wire used is typically 30 lb test.

you could add 2 copper 300's to get to 80 ft. I typically run two 300's all the time when deeper than 80 ft. they are two of my most productive rods. Tou would need bigger reels for them the okuma 55 convectors work really well or the shimano tekota 800 work great.

or

you could go with two wire setups to get your divers deeper. Now a problem i have heard from a lot of reputable charter captains, Jerry lee on Sea Screw one of them, out of ludington will not run wire divers as they shut down his downriggers he was telling me. He typically runs mono or braid divers. and when knowones else riggers are producing his are.

Kind of a tough decision.

I got two wire diver set ups last winter, with the okumo diamond roller rods, with the mag dipsey there was not enough backbone to the rods and the fish were hitting the bait and coming un buttoned or braking the diver leads 30lbs mono, went back to my 10' 6" okuma diver rods with 50lbs power pro and brake offs and lost fish became less of a problem with the mag divers, I'm sure the wire got a little deeper but not that much more than the braid I have drug bottom in 90fow with 200' of line out, I know they say 3 to 1 ratio is a good rule of thumb but I seem to get more depth than most say they will get, I do run in the 2.0 to 2.4 speed at the ball thou. Becuase I run allot meat rigs on divers and riggers wich like to be pulled slower than spoons the majority of the time. The copper is great stuff, the most colors I have on any lead core set ups I got is 8, I run lead cores shallower with 2, 3, 4, 5,6,7and 8 if I want to run deeper than that I run, 150,175,200,225,250, and two 300 of 45lbs copper. If you buy wire diver setups make sure the rod has a good back bone.

I love all 4 of my wire rods. Wire dose not attract the sea fleas like braid, and will generally run deeper than braid.

As far as copper, I would highly recommend the soft/super copper if you go that rout. 45# standard copper is hard to deploy. A bunch of guys I know, and myself switched over to 32# soft, and are having great results. One note when using Copper; if your planer board slips down to the knot in the line where the copper is attached, it will weaken that area. It is a good idea ti retie that knot occasionally.

This is where I get my soft copper and wire. Blood Run Tackle. They also have a depth chart on there site. The 32# copper takes about the same amount of space on your reel as core.

I love all 4 of my wire rods. Wire dose not attract the sea fleas like braid, and will generally run deeper than braid.

As far as copper, I would highly recommend the soft/super copper if you go that rout. 45# standard copper is hard to deploy. A bunch of guys I know, and myself switched over to 32# soft, and are having great results. One note when using Copper; if your planer board slips down to the knot in the line where the copper is attached, it will weaken that area. It is a good idea ti retie that knot occasionally.

This is where I get my soft copper and wire. Blood Run Tackle. They also have a depth chart on there site. The 32# copper takes about the same amount of space on your reel as core.

I agree with Ken 100% ,wire divers are great and a blast to catch fish on. Just remember to get a good quality rod.

And as far as copper he is correct , the 32 lb SUPPER COPPER will run very close to that of 45 lb and is much easyer to yous. Im in the process of switching over .

The wire you can run dipsys off of them and they work great. You can also run 1lb balls not common in Milwaukee though. Run copper like leadcore. Copper gets deeper than core with less line out. Twillli tips are not required but rollers are a must. Gander has a great roller rod for wire Dipsys or for a bit more Shimano Talora (both have fuji guides).:thumb: A smooth reel is a must for wire.

Thanks Guys, copper is whats it going to be for now. Hope to be back to normal before the new season starts. Have surgery in the morning , I thought I was going to be out for 12-16 weeks . But it could be 4-6 months.

Good Luck fishing .

Tight Lines

Jim

Yep, what josh said. I would also add that if you are going to run more than 300' of 45# copper you should use a heavier backer like 50# braid.

Kyle, have you used the 32# supper yet? Imo it is as easy as core. The 45# is a pain though.

The biggest pain with copper is when the knot goes through the guides.

Kyle, have you used the 32# supper yet? Imo it is as easy as core. The 45# is a pain though.

The biggest pain with copper is when the knot goes through the guides.

Ken, I have not used any of the 32# yet. I have only used 45# from Opti and Howie's. I am currently running all super copper from Howie's. I did notice that the Howie's copper is a little thinner than the Blood Run copper, .036 compared to .038.

Ken is write on the money, all of my copper is 32lb blood run and it is as easy to use a s lead, infact you can nearly free spool it on the way out with out a clicker.

Yep, tighten the spool tension a tad, let 20-30' out then let it free spool.

It dose not backlash no where near the amount 45# dose, very similar to core, but is stronger, more forgiving, and deeper.

Long coppers really shine during the sunny part of the day, when the fish settle towards the bottom.