Wader Recommendations

Any recommendations for waders to fish the St. Joseph river? I'll probably use them the most at the dam in Berrien Springs.

I'm not sure whether to get insulated or non-insulated. I hope to fish most seasons. Will insulated be too hot to use in summer? If so would I be better off buying non-insulated and wearing long underwear during the spring, fall, and winter.

I'm also curious about whether to get them with boots or buy boots separately.

Brand recommendations? I'm not a cheapskate and prefer to buy something once.

I got the insulated waders from cabela's and like them. The boots are attached. I chose insulated because most of the time I fish the rivers are in the spring and fall. If i go in the summer, I'm the guy in gym shorts and ol raggity tennis shoes.

This was the 2nd season with the cabela's waders and they are great so far.

I have the insulated waders from Cabela's, too. 4 seasons and they are holding up great!! I have the stocking foot waders and wear wading boots. Personal preference because I think you get a better shoe fit doing this. I can't afford to have sloppy boots when walking over stones in the river. I am for sure not a mountain goat over rocks!!

I have a pair of Hodgemans insulated with the boots. I only use them in the fall. The insulated are great as water temps are in the 50s and will still keep me comfortable but on hot days they do get to warm , mine are the bib style. As far as rocks go ,I used to fish the 6th street dam when I lived in g-rapids and they were slippery, I used ice fishing slip on cleats on my boots and that worked great. I have had mine about 12yrs now and still no leaks and wont part with them,They are 5mm thick, very heavy duty and were not cheap then , but Id suggest the best you can afford.

I own the cabelas non insulated waders and are very pleased. I bought them with the boots and a tad bit larger to compensate for layered clothing. If its cold I wear the redhead layered hunting garments underneath.

My philosophy on warm and cold weather has always been, If its too cold I can always put on more, but if its too hot you cant take off your skin. That being said I bought the uninsulated, cause I can always add to it. (underneath) and in the summer I have a set of waders ready!

Great info, keep it coming. I'm going to head off to Cabela's and Bass Pro sometime next week to try some on. I know I don't want them too tight. Since I'm rather "portly" I need a stout size.

I like the idea of layering underneath. I'm hoping to find a pair that I can use during the summer without burning up. I don't like to be sweating in the summer as I don't care for hot and humid days.

I just bought the Lacross 5mm waders from Cabalas a few weeks ago.

You can get fleece pants with sturpis in the same area for around 30 bucks

add some under armor extreme and a set of rocky cold weather you will be as snug as bug in a rug in the cold.

I just bought the Lacross 5mm waders from Cabalas a few weeks ago.

You can get fleece pants with sturpis in the same area for around 30 bucks

add some under armor extreme and a set of rocky cold weather you will be as snug as bug in a rug in the cold.

I agree with what he is saying about layering under the 5mm waders. I have hodgeman 5 mm and flyweights. For most general fishing i wear the 5mm. I do like the slip on boots though. the difference is that you can get felt for rock gravel or other slippery surfaces or cleated for regular bottoms. I like the boot tight on my foot as if you get into muck you dont pull your foot out of the boot like booted waders. This is one of the main problems with people falling in that i have watched. boot gets stuck in muck the person tries to pull out of the muck pulling foot out of boot losing balance and in they go. I experienced it a few times carp shooting and no thanks. I saw someone mentioned weariong out a pair at the heel. to stop that from happening they make a 2 mm sock that goves over your wader. that gives you 7mm on your feet which is the hardest part to keep warm while wading. the socks also take all the abuse and when they wear out you toss them and get another pair for like 20 bucks. the ones i got from franks great out doors last time were 17 dollars (5 years ago) have gravel cuffs sewn on them and they have held up great.