NW Chicago Salmon/Steelhead Rivers

I am heading to the Crystal Lake, IL area to visit the inlaws and was told if there were rivers to fish either Salmon or Steelhead I was free to go. Not only do I want to fish, but I don't have to listen to my sister-in-law nag on her husband all weekend (that's why he needs to learn how to fish).

If someone could help me out I would be greatful.

Thanks

Years ago I fished a few WI rivers in the fall and caught a few salmon and some coho. I thought it was the Racine river, but I was looking at a map and it could have easily been the Root river, which rings a bell..too many beers and too much time in between to be sure. Check out a map of the area and see what rivers are in the area that connect to the big lake and that will give you a good starting point. I like to use www.flashearth.com for satellite imagery along with road names. Good luck in your search and let us know how you make out. Oh yeah, it does not look like a far commute from where you'll be in IL to check out any of the rivers in the area...

• 1 month later...
I am heading to the Crystal Lake, IL area to visit the inlaws and was told if there were rivers to fish either Salmon or Steelhead I was free to go. Not only do I want to fish, but I don't have to listen to my sister-in-law nag on her husband all weekend (that's why he needs to learn how to fish).

If someone could help me out I would be greatful.

Thanks

I bought a boat to get away from all of the in laws and out laws...family and want to be family. When I get home from work hooking up the boat is automatic.

• 1 year later...