October Stannard Rock Run

Daybreak

• 2 months later...

Thanks again guys! I cant wait to be heading back out there!

I do fish a lot to the NE of the light, especially as the year goes on. June is a good time to be in the shallows near the Rock itself. When the 2 week bug hatch is happening there are fish on the surface feeding almost all day. Other than that, I stay away from the Lighthouse as it gets more traffic than other places, and seems to hold smaller fish.

Early in the season(late April-early May) the fish are down deep because thats where the warmest water(39 degrees) will be. Everything above that will be colder(32-37 degrees). This is a great time to be on the deep banks on the NE and NW sides of the reef. As you can imagine, very little of the good structure out there is on the chart.

:thumb:

Im wondering what strain of lakers they are, they look different than the ones we catch down on Lake O.

---(This is from a fisherman..not a bioloigist!)

Lake Superior has 2 major strains of Lakers. The Mackinaw(also called "leans" or"redfins") and the Siscowet(also called "fats" or greasers") The Mackinaws are the fish we all love up here! Nice orange/reddish fillets with very little fat, brighter coloring, and sometimes nice red fins. They also have a longer snout and a "pointed" face. They are normally found in water under 160' deep.

The Siscowets are usually found in water deeper than 200' and many miles from shore, and many live their whole life in the mid levels of the watercolumn in depths of 700' or more. The DNR netted Siscowets at the deepest hole in Lake Superior 4 years ago...1330' down! These are the same fish found in the other Great Lakes as far as I know. Lighter coloring, bulging eyes, short snout, tan or brown fins, white/yellowish meat with lots of fat...only good for smoking or bear bait!

I have read a lot of different things on these fish and ther seem to also be tons of "sub-strains" and things as well. I have caught quite a few "redfins" that had white meat as well. Like I said, I am no biologist, but what is stated above is how I understand it. Hope that helps! :thumb: