Sliders Questions

I have 2 riggers and I see alot of post about sliders.

What are they and how do they work?

Are they on your rigger pole or a seperate pole?

I run stackers but I am always looking for something new.

Thanks Steve

Steve, as far as I know there are 2 types....A fixed slider and a free slider...2 different concepts with the basic same result...The free slider is as mentioned above..about 6-8' of line, I use 2 snap swivels,one for the spoon and one to hook onto the main line on pole..theory is to hook the slider on after your main is down while trolling..slider will not go past the belly/apex in the line...effective way to have extra hardware in the water...generally slider will be approximately half the distance of your tackle at the ball...example....downrigger at 100', slider at 50' for a rule of thumb....fixed slider I've never run, hopefully someone can help with this one....hope this helps...good fishing

Regards, Bob

I run both types of sliders, free and fixed. The free are the easiest to run and very effective. I run the fixed when I want to concentrate lures in a specific area. I run the fixed in two different ways. 1st way: set main line to rigger, and lower to your desired separation, in my case mostly 10 - 15feet. I then half hitch a rubber band around the rigger cable, open the swivel on the slider and attach over the main rod line and the rubber band. Then send it down to depth. 2nd way and more desirable to me is to set the rigger line and drop it to the desired separation depth, half hitch a rubber band to the main rod line then attach the slider on top of it with the rubber and main line in the clip. This seems to put less tension on the main line as it allows the natural bow of the line instead of being pinned to the rigger cable in two places. Hope this helps.

I use 15# line on all my trolling rods and the same line for my sliders.

Sliders are used to run two lures on one pole. A simple not fixed slider can be made by tying a snap swivel on each end of a five foot piece of line put a spoon on one end and hook the other end to yout main line once the downrigger is set. This is a free slider and it will go down to a bow in your line and set right there. This is my preferred method. You can also do a fixed slider by using a rubberband and attaching the slider to the main line to keep the slider at a certain depth. I will not usually mess with sliders at night or when the fish are hitting real good. As you use them you will find out why.

Just a note to ya, I won't run a slider on a rod that has a S.D. or rotator on it you will have mess when you bring them in, with a spoon to spoon set-up it's deadly when your in the fish.

thats a good point, don't ever run a slider on a SD or you'll be cutting the whole thing apart.

another thing to remember is that when the fish hits a free running slider it has to slide all the way to the bottom lure before it becomes tight. So if you get a hit on a slider rod, and the fish is not tight when you take the rod out of the rigger, reel like a mad man to get the slack out before the fish can spit the lure.