Raymarine ds500x

nomas

As you can see from my previous post I run an EagleSeacharter 480df. I'm in the process of getting my third transducer and I'm sick of having trouble with this unit year after year. So next winter/spring I'm seriously considering purchasing the raymarine ds500x. Does anyone have an opinion on this unit? Pro's/Con's.

Thanks,

Tom

Nomas,

I have one on my 18 ft’r. Here’s a couple shots of what the screen looks like in real sunlight.

7_3_06190.jpg

SCREEN5_28_06.jpg

Some things from my experience:

1. Some palette combinations are easier to read in sunlight than others. However, as with most units you have to be looking straight at it to see it. I wish it had some kind of shade/cover over the top of it. However as far as I know only some super expensive units have that nowadays. No problem seeing it from anywhere when I put my top up.

2. Mine shows decent display up to 18 mph out to about 90 FOW. I’ve had a good picture trolling out to 300 FOW. (Haven’t gone deeper than that). I like the auto depth changes.

3. I don’t believe any transom mounted speed or trip indicator at trolling speeds. The boat drags water & turbulence behind it so any paddlewheel readings are seldom accurate.

4. I’ve never had a moisture problem with the screen but I’ve heard of others having that. (actually with other brands also)

5. I’m not convinced that the fish (target IDs) are really fish. All beams are reflected off air pockets (fish’s air bladder) or drastic changes in density. I’ve turned off Target ID and had lots of “spots†show up on screen, so I’m guessing some were clumps of fleas, seaweed etc.

Overall I don’t have to put my reading glasses on to see the display. I’m happy with it. (knock on wood)

H.I.H.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom,

If you don't mind I have more few questions for you.

1. Have you ever taken it off fish ID? I just wonder how it works marking fish with out the fish ID. (Hooks) Do you primarily fish salmon? I see that you said something about fishing in 300fow.

2. Have you ever marked the thermocline with this unit?

3. Is the paddle for the speed including in the same housing mechanism as the transducer? When I was looking at the phamplet on line, it looked like it was. Didn't look to me like there was a separate paddle.

4. I read something in the pamphlet about being able to plug into chartplotters, GPS units. Is this just Raymarine products or can you use separate makes/models?

Thanks for the input,

Tom

Tom,

1. yes marks the hooks pretty well. I put id on fish for chuckles, to show my son we're over fish. Yes fish mostly salmon & trout on Lake ontario.

2. Have not marked the themocline this year or last. (Lake temps have been pretty goofy) I'm not too concerned about that on FF as I run a Sub-Troll.

3. Paddle wheel is on end of transom transducer.

4. Not sure about gps. I think you have to buy another unit (receiver, antena or something) & plug it into this unit. I use a separate hand held unit.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I also run one on my boat. I think it is a great unit, and the split screen tranducer is a great option to have. I dont run it in fish ID mode. I havent read through the post here so Im not sure if all your questions were answered. I will try to check back and see if you have any questions for me.

I have the DS600x on my boat. Its basically the same unit but with a little bigger screen. I had a few problems early on with the power cord connector. If it was not connected just right it would cause a short and blow out the screen. Raymarine customer service was tremendous in fixing the issue and replaced it with no problems.

Dave

Word of warning when dealing with raymarine. Once your unit goes out of warranty it is $350 to fix anything on the unit. It's a fixed fee. I had the internal battery die on my GPS and they said $350 to replace it plus S&H. A friend of mine had the same issue and found out that it's a $3 battery. I had a very different experience than you did Dave!! I will never do business with raymarine again!:angry2:

With your track record on that graph you better see about an extended warranty:D

Dont remind me Darrin. They got to my unit 2 days ago at Raymarine. I talked to the tech who was the one work on it. He said it was still dripping water when he took it out of the box! He didnt even open the casing, just shipped me a new one, next day air and no charge.

Dave