Tackle Needs

Since I'm new and just taking this sport up I need some recommendations for basic tackle and stuff I need to buy and stock up on. Most of my fishing will be from the shore or wading in the St. Joseph river in MI for steelhead and salmon. I know that I need a rod, reel, and possibly some waders. In some ways this is the easy part. There is lots of advice and info available.

Now, I need to know what size and types of hooks, sinkers, bobbers/floats, swivels, lures, and other pieces of miscellaneous basic equipment I should begin looking for and buying.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Youv'e got a multitude of choices here depends on how much action/challenge you want light rod means bigger challenge landing a fish. If you don't have any gear start with a medium action and go from there. Vist tackle shops near the water you want to fish and see what they're selling the most of to other anglers. And when you go fishing check out others gear and see what they're successfully using. Most guys will be glad to help and maybe even give you a fly/hook or whatever bait is working for them.

I'm most likely going to be fishing the St. Joseph river near the Berrien Springs Dam or the Twin Branch Dam in Mishawaka, IN for steelhead and salmon.

I've been hearing a lot of differing opinions from the various places I've been looking. So far I've been to BJ's Sports near St. Joseph, MI, Lunkers in Edwardsburg, and Cabela's/Bass Pro.

Right now, I've tossed Cabela's and Bass Pro off the list for the first purchase. Nothing against them except I think the suggestions at the other 2 places have been more informed. I also like supporting local small businesses.

Get a decent 9 to 10 foot steelhead noodle rod and a decent open bail spinning reel. This should cost you a Ben Franklin. Do not buy the cheap line. Get a good ultra thin line in 6 or 8 lb test, I have caught 20+ pound salmon on both. When you buy hooks, sinkers, and snap swivels do not be afraid to spend $1.00 more to get the quality stuff. If you are fishing steelhead you will want salmon eggs or steelhead eggs. There are lots of ways that you can get them, I always have a good supply. Try ice fishing for steelhead this winter you will have a blast.

I hope it's not too late for my input.

First off, let me say I am no expert with river salmon and steelhead, but am an experienced angler on the river, considering I grew up on one. But, I have tangled with my fair share of river steelhead/salmon.

Let's start with the terminal tackle. One of the most important items in my mind. I would advise only using the top of the line hooks, swivels, and line when going after the salmon and steelhead. For hooks, I like to use size 2-6 octupus style by gamakatsu or mustad. It will vary with what you have on the hook. I use a lot of wobble glo's and spawn.

Line, I like to use power pro. I like it's great line diameter to strength ratio. The thin line cuts through the water better than mono and allows me differentiate better between rocks and bites when drift fishing. I use 15lb and a leader of anywhere from 6-8lb fluoro.

For your rod it depends a lot on what you want to fish with. If you intend to drift fish with spawn and wobble glo's, or cast small inline spinners you can go with a light weight rod. If you are going to end up on the piers casting 3/4oz to 1oz spoons or big cranks you would want a M weight rod. If you intend to both, I would say M or ML would suit a wide range of baits.

Also, I stop at Lunker's frequently in Edwardsburg, and every time I tell myself not to go back. Their stock selection is a lot of times scarce, and their prices are too high. I would advise finding the rod you like in the store, and save yourself twenty bucks by ordering the same rod online.

I hope I have helped, and let us know what you end up with.

i would stay away from bj's sports way over priced and not much knowlage on the staff's part. goto tackle haven in benton harbor way better pricing.

also for myself i have found 9 foot ultra light im7 rod is my fav. rod rigged with 6lb test. i havent lost a fish to broken line yet and i have done pier river fishing for 10 years.

for tackle i would say start with some 3/4 oz and 2/5oz lil cleos and ko wobblers also some artic spinners/osglos green orange pink seem to be the most productive colors then blue. i would also reccomend opting for the glow baits

If I were you I would get a custom made rod. Tell the builder exactly what length, action, power, tip, etc. and he will be able to hook you up. Can usually get different blank colors and a custom handle and reel seat. You can make the fanciest of fancy poles with tiChrome guides or you can get just a basic level. You can also choose the color the guides are wrapped in which can be pretty much be every color imaginable. So basically you get whatever you want, exactly how you like it. This is just the route I would take IMO

Ice fishing for steelhead? oh I must know more.

Ususally up north (U.P.) on small rivers, or streams and a little on bigger lakes in the harbors. Pretty popular to use "slammer" rigs using a fishing pole like a tip up. Youtube it and I am sure you will come up with lots. Steeliebob should chime in, hes an expert!:)