a bad way to end a lousy summer

Line Dancin

Well after being laid off all summer and not fishing much due to funds being low after paying the bills, I took the boat up to ludington to get it winterized. Earlier in the spring i noticed a chip in the gel coat on the starboard side halfway down to the keel right next to one of my bunks on the trailer. I talked to the shop about it at that time and was told that it shouldn't be a problem with it being just a chip. Now last year my last trip out i hit something coming in in the dark and at that time we thought i just got the outdrive, spun hub in the prop was all. Back to current time. The mechanic jacked the boat up yesterday to fix my nickle sized chip and found a 6 inch impact ring. Guess what i did hit that thing last year with the hull. They also found a couple blisters and a couple other stress cracks in the gel coat. So i got the phone call about it late yesterday. To fix it properly they are saying they need to media blast the bottom, open up the blisters that are there, fill ,and epoxy barrier coat the bottom, and then bottom paint. 2 grand was the estimate:(. Now i have to try and find that money to get it done. and i have only been back to work for 3 weeks on a part time basis. Of all th things that could happen this has to hapen now of all time. Not when i was working overtime and had the extra funds to fix it. I know th shop does great work as my family has use dthem for a long time. I guess the boat is staying in ludington this winter to get it fixed so i can have it for spring. there goes my lure and reel budget for the next couple years.

Good thing is is that it isn't structural damage.

thats a bad way to end the season. sorry to hear this.

have you thought about doing any of the work yourself, or with GL Fisherman friends? Could save a decent amount of money. Even just applying the barrier coat and paint could save a bunch.

That sucks. I would submit it to your insurance company.

Boat insurance is a lot more liberal than car insurance. There are very few claims filed so most of the time there is no hassle.

I know it sucks when equipment needs repairing but put things into perspective and thank God it's the boat and not you.

Sorry to hear that. Id definitely turn that into the insurance company. Thats why you pay for it. Dad had to have that done on his boat and the estimate was the same. Youll have to bottom paint that boat from now on. Good luck with your work and with the repairs.

Now it is the hands of the insurance company. WE'll see what they decide. Todd sent them a quote and now they are going to send out an adjuster to take a look and get some pics. So now it is a waiting game till State Farm makes a decision. I hope i chose a good company to deal with. guess i will find out shortly.

thats a bad way to end the season. sorry to hear this.

have you thought about doing any of the work yourself, or with GL Fisherman friends? Could save a decent amount of money. Even just applying the barrier coat and paint could save a bunch.

i thought about it but i want to see where the insurance company ends up and see how they are willing to fix it

I hope your insurance company picks this up, I has to call mine , someone tossed out a cigarette on the road and burned a spot on my carpeting.

I am hoping they cover that , the boat is only 8 months old.

that sucks hope you get it taken care of.

frank i agree than god i wasn't running real hard when it happened or someone could have been hurt.

Adam about painting i was planning on doing it some time. It was done before. At least they way it will be done they are going to put two coats of barrier coat epoxy. then three coats of bottom paint. And they have the facilities to make working on it esay compareed to me tring to do it in the drive way. Also it will be done right and i wont have to worry about it

Well i got the word from the insurance company today. They are paying to fix the bottom including barrier coat and paint. All i have to pay basically is the 500 deductable and they did a depreciation on the damage cause it wasn't found in 12 months form the actual first claim. But she is going to talk to her boss on monday (he is on vacation this week and the only one that can authorize that over ride) and explain the situation and see if they can waive that and send me out a check for the depreciation value.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a call from the insurance and they are going to waive the depreciation. so they are paying for the whole repair less the deductable of 500. talked to johnsons up in ludington and they should be done pulling boats and winterizing in the next week and they are going to get started media blasting my boat. He was saying that they already have it in the boot taped and plastic covered. Thank God i have good insurance and not any cut rate crap. I would have never thought to call the insurance since it happened just over a year ago. Thanks to those that suggested it.

Glad to hear that things worked out for you!!

Never hurts to ask, all they can say is no.

You have a good policy. Make sure to thank them and your broker.

I too have a dedicated marine policy.

They are worth every penny!

Finally got a call from the insurance and they are going to waive the depreciation. so they are paying for the whole repair less the deductable of 500. talked to johnsons up in ludington and they should be done pulling boats and winterizing in the next week and they are going to get started media blasting my boat. He was saying that they already have it in the boot taped and plastic covered. Thank God i have good insurance and not any cut rate crap. I would have never thought to call the insurance since it happened just over a year ago. Thanks to those that suggested it.

Aaron, what company are you using?