One of my life's regrets...

is that my father while a great guy was not an outdoorsman nor interested in fishing and shooting. I took up firearms a few years ago and enjoy several related sports. I recently met up with an old friend on a fishing trip and have decided to take up the sport of fishing much more seriously than in the past.

I'm 55 and have gone fishing with others and enjoyed it but have not learned enough nor gained enough experience to go it alone. I plan to change that over the next year. Since I live on the state line between MI/IN in South Bend, IN and the St. Joe River is less than a 1/4 mile away (not accessible though) I might as well take advantage of it.

Looking forward to gleaning some information, resources, and local places to do business. I think I'm going to start with some shore fishing next month so I'm looking for some insulated waders for a non-svelte guy with a pot belly. :thumb: I plan to use a guide for this first trip and I'll figure out more about rod, reel, and tackle after that trip. A boat is not in the picture for a few years.:(

Welcome! Even if the boat is not in the picture is a fishing kayak a possibility? In the spring the fish stack up in 15-25 fow in Lake Michigan out of St. Joe. If you pick your days right I bet you could have a good trip! Anyways good luck river fishing! Let us know how it goes.

Welcome to GLF Bruce. Thanks for taking a minute and doing an introduction. The fastest way to learn is to hop on board with someone else.

Lots of great information has already been posted here. Don't be afraid to ask a question that may have been asked already.

Welcome aboard Bruce. Thats the good thing about fishing, its never too late to start learning. Forums like the speed the learning curve significantly. Id read all you can and try and find a fellow in your area to show you first hand...thats the best way to learn...Good luck to ya.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I've been using forums for years to learn about various interests and find them very effective. I'm very active on a couple and lurk on some others. I will definitely be reading a lot over the next few months.

For the fishing I'm planning on doing first I'm going to buy a pair of cold water waders, then hire a local guide who takes clients and teaches them local shore fishing on the St. Joe River. He furnishes equipment. With some watching others, researching, and using his equipment I'll buy the rod and reel setup next.