Early Goose season review

Adam Bomb

Some of you may have noticed i havent been around lately. Been working allot and in my free time scouting for geese and hunting them. Then the youth waterfowl weekend just got over. Anyhow, just wanted to give an overview of our season so far.

Well, early goose season was tough for us. Had some great spots and things looked good, but with the weather and the way they field hop this time of year it made it tough on us. Had a couple good shoots and our fair share of tanning sessions in the layouts....Got a lull till Oct 2nd Mid zone opener...gonna be a tough wait!

Started my season in July adding 29 big foots to my spread. Got a deal i just couldnt pass up.

BigFootDecoys002.jpg

Then the flocking process begain

Flockedgeese007.jpg

Flockedgeese005.jpg

They sure look good in the field

HammerTime006.jpg

Seen Ducks like this nearly everyday of the early goose season...Wish we coulda pulled the trigger on em!!! Beautiful sight to see none the less

Ducks009.jpg

Ducks007.jpg

Ducks006.jpg

Goose hunt

Goosehunting002.jpg

Goosehunting004.jpg

EarlySeasonGeese008.jpg

EarlySeasonGeese006.jpg

EarlySeasonGeese001.jpg

EarlySeasonGeese023.jpg

EarlySeasonGeese020.jpg

HammerTime024.jpg

Second to last day of season and my last hunt. Chris and i had our limit by 7:45 am. It was awesome.

LastDayLimit005.jpg

LastDayLimit010.jpg

Grant, the flocking process is more time consuming than it is hard. You can get the flocking on ebay, dont buy the avery kit.(long story, it sucks!!!) It includes the black flocking, dust mask, latex gloves and an applicator bottle and paint brushes. Once you get your flocking go to the hardware and get some adhesion promoter and some Rustoleum flat black oil based paint along with 1/2" and 1" paint brushes(if you have allot of decoys, i had 4 dozen to do), rubbing alcohol, and some 60 grit sandpaper. Youll also need a carboard box.

Start by washing the heads(dishwasher works great), sand them, clean agian with alcohol, let dry and then spray with the adhesion promoter, once dried generously apply the black paint and then immediately apply the flocking with the appicator within the box to reclaim the excess flocking that falls off. Apply it generously and then "pat" it on with your hand. Once completely flocked tap the bill on the side of hte box and reapply the flocking anywhere you can see wetness. Once your satisfied with the coverage put it back on the deocy and your done. I didnt use the white flocking on the cheek patches, just repainted with flat white oil based rustoleum that i brushed on as well.

I know it sounds like allot, but its not that bad of a job. I would recommend doing it in your garage or shop as this is not a job for in your home. The flocking is very lofty and youll have some air born. That said, BE SURE TO WEAR THE DUST MASK!

And in the end, its all worth it as they look allot more realistic and the geese think so too. Had great results hunting over them once my project was complete. Next im going to do the tails.:no:

Adam great job smacken them Honkers! The deeks look great to,I did the same thing to my big foots and you will like how they look with tails done to, I like mine and so do the honkers.I did not get out this early season I have had lots on my plate and just did not have time. jimmy

• 1 month later...