Vacuum Sealer????

JWheeler

Hey guys, I'm sick of pulling meat out of the freezer only to find it freezer burned. I've heard good things about this food saver: FoodSaver - Advanced Design Vacuum Sealer Kit - White

Model: V2240

Looking for any input from you dudes in regards to positive and negatives about any food savers you have owned. If you were buying one which one would you go with? and Why?

We have one ( Rival seal a meal) we use to do up our garden produce, meats, and fish. It is wonderful and I'm glad we got it. Only glitch seems to be the seal sometimes doesn't get fully sealed (rare) and you can see all the air isn't out....nice thing is, you just cut a little off with the scissors and seal it again.

We found by putting a little paper toweling in just before sealing it seems to absorb moisture making a better seal. Write on the outside with a felt marker what it is and the date you did it.....and you are done.

have had a cabelas commercial for three years, never a problem.

i admit its a little pricy but you get what you pay for.

i sealed 73 bags of salmon filets non stop, it took it with no problems.

tried 4 different food savers,all garbage.imo

Agreed. I went through two food savers, then bought the cabelas, works good.

Go pro. I have had the worst luck with the foodsavers. It is not evan owned by tilia any longer. I started with the gamesaver, exchanged it aftewr 3mo's. Burnt the next one out in 14mo's. Went to the gamesaver delux. It was supposed to continualy seal with no probs. Sent that back to the company upgraded to game saver turbo plus. Which is supposedly the best they have. Had this one for a month and sent it back. The one I have now still can't seal repeatedly, also does not vacum as they claim being a dual piston vacum.

Misc probs I've had.

Does not seal due to faulty heat strip- cannot purchase just the strip to repair. No parts sold for under the hood. Just the main seals can be purchased

Does not vacum

Bad seals

Gets hot fast and will not vacum or seal.

I will say that the customer service has been real personable and nice to deal with.

I would recomend going to a more expensive sealer. As has been said.

Eric, you put that boat away yet? Starting next weekend I'm hoping to be out every weekend til november 1st.....get a hold of me...could always use another person interested in going. BOat's in Arcadia....

Thanks for all the feed back. Some of the burger and chix in the freezer that I have tossed due to freezer burn is less than a couple months old, so I'm annoyed with meat going bad in the freezer. I take my salmon to Stout Trout SMokehouse in wellston on the way home from fishing. They vacuum seal it for me and I have had some in the freezer for better than a year that tastes just like the stuff freshly smoked. :thumb: This is what I'm trying to achieve with all meat. Like you all I'm sure from time to time you put things in the freezer and forget about it. Rather than throwing it out I'd like it to be edible still

We bought a food saver on ebay just to seal up the fish we caught and not get freezer burnt. S far so good, bought some bags on ebay also, they work great. We buy our burger from the butcher shop and seal it , no freezer burn, just hated to through out meat. Sealed up some tender loin with it and it was as good as the stuff we didn't freeze. We also use it to bag up smoked fish(dosn't last that long but still keeps it fresh). AS for different brands can't really help there we only have the food saver.

Case in point tonight. I pulled some kielbasa out of the freezer last night. Looked fine, wifey said it didn't smell good, smelled fine to me. One bite of that crap and that was enough. Going to look around and see what I can find the most bang for my buck. Will have one by weeks end next week......

Thanks for all the input fellas

i've always used the food saver. works good but occasionally pull a bag out of the freezer to find it was not vacuumed or sealed properly. I think the moisture may be an issue at times. i would love to try one of the commercial units.

1....towel dry fish or meat

2....place a sheet of wax paper on a large baking pan.

3....place in the freezer to pre-chill.

4....place fish or meat on top of paper in pan.

5....leave in freezer long enough to stiffen.

6....place product in bags and vacuum seal.

Moisture is the main reason for sealer failures!

I was talking with one of my buddys who has a vacuum sealer and he mentioned how he marinates food and then seals it. Says you pull it out of the freezer and out of the vacuum pack and it's already flavored and ready for the grill:thumb: That would be nice too

he mentioned how he marinates food and then seals it. Says you pull it out of the freezer and out of the vacuum pack and it's already flavored and ready for the grill:thumb: That would be nice too

Great idea, I'll have to remember to try that.