GPS help

Ashman

I need a little schooling, I am looking at upgrading from a fish finder to a fish finder /GPS Combo. A friend reccomended a 788 Hummingbird so I looked it up on Cabelas site and found 3.

I have narrowed it down to two (then again I could be open for suggestions), but wanted to know if anyone can tell me the difference between External vs. Internal GPS? Advantages/disadvantages. Whats it's purpose.

I'm not one of those people gifted in the electronics and I need to make things as simple as possible.

Thanks.

If you shop around you can find the 788c for near 500. The external is the way to go if you have any sort of top. This means you will have a GPS "Puck" to mount somewhere on your boat, where as an internal will have no "Puck." These units have a tough time picking up satellites through a top. I personally own a 788c and highly recommend it.

Thanks, that explanation was easy enough for me to understand. :thumb:

Any suggestions where to look for them at a price near 500.00?

I go to Cabelas and Gander Mtn., but they aren't offering them at that nice of a price.

Wow, just did a quick search, i can't find one under 540ish. I paid 520 for mine shipped. Just do a google search for Humminbird 788c and click the shopping tab. Search through those to find the best deals. It's best to sort by price and go from there. Make sure you read it all though. Make sure it comes the way you want it, either external or internal, and WITH A TRANSDUCER. Some places will sell the unit without a transducer. I personally bought mine from the digital oasis.

(then again I could be open for suggestions)

And man did I get some today!

My wife and I went to Cabelas in Dundee to see them all in person, and what I thought I wanted turned out not to be....not cause the 788 wasn't a good unit, but because after a hour and a half with an extremely helpful employee named Bill in their fishing area I got to test drive them all.

Bill would not persuade me in which one to buy, but after trying them I found the easiest for me and my limited electronics abilities turned out to be the Lowrance units. It was between two and my wife chimed in with the rebates, in store coupon, etc.....the HDS5 Lake Insight was my best bang for the buck.

Now I had no intention of buying one today, but my wife insisted considering rebates, etc.....(who am I to argue with my bride)....and my upcoming trip to Little Bay de Noc that there was no time like the present....so one followed me home today.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions/help. :thumb:

The HDS5 is a great unit. Very accurate on the gps side and very detailed on the fishfinder side. I love mine and wouldn't get anything else. the lake insight is a nice package. it has a lot of great detail in the unit. A couple hints on the fishfinder try to use your sensitivity manually instead of automatically and adjust it as high as you can without blacking out the screen and you will be surprised at what you will see. You may want to look at the lake maps software they do have a little better detail on the depth lines. Another great thing to add is the Sirus weather. It is real time weather and you can really save yourself with that. i have beat in a few rain storms now. It also shows surface temps on the great lakes so when you are looking for warm or cold water there is no searching. It shows lightening strikes gives you marine warnings closer to the actual then NOAA. It costs a few bucks a month to use it but it is great. The nice thing is when you are not using your boat during the winter you can put your account on hold and not pay for service. it is a great add on.

If you need some help with it send me a pm.

The HDS5 is a great unit. Very accurate on the gps side and very detailed on the fishfinder side. I love mine and wouldn't get anything else. the lake insight is a nice package. it has a lot of great detail in the unit. A couple hints on the fishfinder try to use your sensitivity manually instead of automatically and adjust it as high as you can without blacking out the screen and you will be surprised at what you will see. You may want to look at the lake maps software they do have a little better detail on the depth lines. Another great thing to add is the Sirus weather. It is real time weather and you can really save yourself with that. i have beat in a few rain storms now. It also shows surface temps on the great lakes so when you are looking for warm or cold water there is no searching. It shows lightening strikes gives you marine warnings closer to the actual then NOAA. It costs a few bucks a month to use it but it is great. The nice thing is when you are not using your boat during the winter you can put your account on hold and not pay for service. it is a great add on.

If you need some help with it send me a pm.

Sounds like a great feature.

Steve, when are you going to BDN?

It's a great chunk of water. Bring us back a good story.

Steve, when are you going to BDN?

It's a great chunk of water. Bring us back a good story.

I'll be leaving here Sept. 23 and coming home that Sunday. I am meeting some friends from Northern Minnesota....there should be about 6-8 of us fishing out of 3 boats.

I lived next to Garden Bay on Big Bay de Noc for 22 years.....love that area, thats why I keep going back. I'm sure hoping to bring back a story and pictures of our trip. If I have anything worthwhile I'll be sure to post a report.