Which probe for next season?

I have the X4 probe with the 840 unit. I usually change the batteries in the probe after 15 trips. The batteries are still good when I change them. However.....I have noticed I start to loose signal when fishing deeper with the old batteries.

I have the depth Raider , wouldn't fish with out one again. Very stable on the speed, as soon as the probe hits the water it turns on, same in reverse. Only draw back is the size of the probe, good amount of blow back, compared to no probe at all. Bought Mine from Ebay , a factory referb, same warranty 120.00 cheaper.Looked like it never touched the water.

I just bought and used the Depth Raider. It worked perfect from the start. The speed and temp were solid with no radical fluctuations. My cousin installed the Fish Hawk at he same time and had problems with it everyday. There was interference from the other electronics, wide fluctuations of speed and temp, and it got worse the farther they sent it down. They're gonna try and move the transducer and wiring to see if that will help. But seeing both, Im glad I went with the Depth Raider.

I got the Fishhawk X-4 last year and I have never had a problem with it. It is a big improvment from the old 840. The Probe works awsome with alot less blow back than the old unit. I have used the other units on different boats and the bigest problem I see with thoughs units is the coated cable. It seems to always get nicked and you start to lose signal. I would recomend the X-4 to anyone even though it costs a little more I think it is worth it.

I also will give testamony to the new fish hawk x4 i just upgraded my probe but still use the 840 head and i have not had any problems at all and have not put new batteries in it all summer (about 125 hours of fishing) and have had it dow 125 and still read it just fine!

I have been quite happy with the depth raider. The only downsides I have seen have been that after many trips, I get several frayed areas on the coated cable, mostly near the end of the cable. I have therefore re-terminated the cable two times during the season. That always takes care of things.

Since I use the walker terminating releases, it is no big deal to re-terminate.

I have not changed batteries all season. However, I did notice this past week that at 130 feet of DR wire out, I lost signal. My suspicion is it could be from a couple of factors:

1. I know there are a few frayed areas of coating on the wire that aren't near the terminal end.

2. 130 feet could be the limit for good readings (I doubt it)

3. the battery could need replacing (although I am not getting a low batt warning).

A downside of the fishhawk that I saw is that it requires the mounting of another "transducer" on the boat. That means drilling holes, mounting, and replacing if it get broken off.

With the depth raider, sure it is a bit of a pain to have the coated cable, but, it is very easy to replace, and I don't have to drill more holes in my boat.

Scott