Grindstone City report 8/24 (sorry for delay)

Went camping at Port Cresent for the week and took the boat. The only day we could get out was on Tuesday, and even that was a bit rough for me and my 19' bowrider with the 3 footers---in fact, both my kids got sick!

We managed to fish for an hour or two anyway. We headed out at 6am and 45 degrees from Grindstone City until we hit 100' of water, then trolled back in to about 50'.

I'm not sure if it is because of the warm bay, or what, but some of the fish and their depths seemed almost inverted. We almost immediately caught an 8lbs steelhead on a rapala near the surface, maybe just 10' down on an inline board. Not long after, we caught a nice laker (i'm not sure of the weight, but over 30 inches) on a dipsey and spoon just off the bottom.

With each kid landing a fish, it was now my turn to man the rods, and I caught my fish: a HUGE drum, down 65' in 85' of water on a dipsey again! Oh well.

The last fish of the day was an even bigger shock: my son landed an absolutely huge smallmouth...caught on a dipsey, just off the bottom in 60' of water! Blew my mind! Not long after he started reeling, and I can see this green fish jumping out of the water, and he kept asking, "What is it?" I couldn't answer, and I'm glad I didn't try!

I'll try to post some pics later after we have unpacked from the camping trip.

Tim