Looking for advice in Ludington

I am a brand newbie :no: I will be heading to Ludington to fish with my 3 boys Thurs-Sunday. Just looking for a little advice. Most importantly, where to start fishing. We will be docked at the marina for the w/e. Should we head north, west? What FOW should we target? I have spoons, J plugs and flies/squids. Should I run all 3 or run heavy on one particular? I have 4 downriggers and 2 dipsy rods. I also have 2 leadcore rods. I am planning on just running 6 lines. Thanks for any input. :thumb:

Joel

Well im gonna be fishing the same time. Im gonna start where i start marking fish SW.then work from there. This time of year is usually 50% plugs 25% flashers and 25% spoons. Thats the way i do it. If your gonna fish north you CANT run lead cores. They will be cut off thats y i dont fish up there. There will be A TON of boats up there if you do go up there be ready to play bumper boats. This time of year the big kings should be inside of 100fow. Hope this helps.

Be aware of the commercial nets so you can avoid them and not ruin a trip over an entanglement. Here is a link to there locations, good idea to keep a print out on your boat.

http://fish-ludington.com/fishingreport/nets.pdf

The nets are well marked and if you're near them, you can see them. The fishing can be good on the inside and outside of the nets at times. It's worthwhile to take a look at your graph outside the pier heads this time of year. They can stack up there on the right day but it's hit or miss. Watching the graph like Matt suggested is a great way to start over fish. Hard to tell where the best fishing will be this far in advance, depends on the wind and weather this week.

I like to call my buddies up there like Matt and my neighbors who have been fishing mid week for fishing reports when I arrive in town Friday night, that helps getting on the fish too ;)

Good luck!

As mentioned nets are north by state park bathouse. If you are not familure with area Do Not TRoll east- west in front of bath house ( brown building) or you will get caught in nets. Alot of mixed reports right now, some claim fish r starting to come into P.M. lake and I saw 8 boats there this evening?But as mentioned there are alot of boats up at the Point, and some very rude and will not make any effort if they are headed towards you to change coarse. Good luck and have a safe trip.

If you aren't used to fishing in a pack I would head south. The point to the north is going to be packed. Check out the report on www.fish-ludington.com, Glen usually gives pretty good info. Once August rolls around I like to avoid Mudington and Manistee. Too much traffic on weekends. Sounds like you got some good advice from the Ludington veterans on here. Let us know how you do and good luck.