Typical season??

Being only my second season, I was wondering if this was a typical lake Michigan summer so far? I fished the June slow down last summer, but it seemed better this year.... Just trying to figure out some patterns so I can take notes for seasons ahead... Tight lines and be patient when the run starts!!! Lots of boats at those pierheads!!

from the "other side," out of racine.

i do not think it is a typical season. lots of cold water, weird fish patterns, small bait fish, smaller fish in general.

usually by august we have large schools of mature kings hanging around waiting to go in the river in fall. I have not seen this yet this year. at times we have had a few nice kings, but have not had the concentration of large fish yet. there is still lots of cold water and bait fish scattered every where. i'm sure the fish are just not holding in one location around racine. The biggest concentration of fish is out 15-20 miles but they are mostly rainbows and salmon that will not spawn this year.

Not a typical year no matter where you are fishing the GLs. The quick warm up and wind patterns are the reason. Actually we have had three abnormal years in a row. 08 and 09 were cooler than normal and this year was warmer than normal.:)

Lake was hot this year but the thermocline never went stupid deep. Only time I went over 100' this year was in May, and I haven't been skunked since a January trip on the Grand.

Last year I spent about a month straight with mag wire divers on one at 200' -350', riggers all in triple digit land and a copper and full core with snap weights mostly getting in the way.

I agree with kevin the surface temps may have been warm but the down temps never went deeper than 80 foot ,so we have not fished very much outside of 100 foot all summer until now, and thats just because we fished out in 250 to 270 last year at this time til the end of september and had a blast catching big numbers of fish(but smaller).The 4 yr olds start to get harder to catch in close due to their spawning urges and i dont like to combat fish anyway , not my style i guess.I thnk we had a good june as well it never got stupid slow you just had to pinpoint were the fish were and stick with them. just my 2 cents worth , jimmy