First timer

Gents, I am going out on superior in the morn. Nevr caught a fish on the big water. I think I have the tools but no experience. I have a 19 crest liner, canon on each side. Lowrance hds. Will run riggers and maybe some dip. Divers. I can keep up with most of the posts but still don't know all of the abbreviations I hear. I would appreciate any tips I haven't seen too many posts from superior but any advice would be great. Someone told me today they are hitting spoons. Do you run a flasher with your spoons? Been inland my whole life,now it's time for some big water. Thanks!

Scott, First a warm welcome to the GLF site. There are a few Yoopers posting Lake Superior reports. A spoon can be run behind a Dodger or Flasher but more the norm is a meat rig, fly, or squid. I'm from the AuGres Tawas area and fish the Saginaw Bay.

:welcome:

Lakers tend to be deep. Run the spoons 30-60' behind the ball. after lowering the ball, tighten the line up as tight as possible with out releasing it. Divers pull hard, so that is normal. Run a spoon 6-8' behind that. Don't bother with and flashers for now. Troll about 2.5-2.7 mph. on the gps.

And WELCOME!

Welcome! There are some guys on here that really know there stuff and are always more than willing to help. The guys posting above are right on the spot! I would stick with just spoons for now and not flashers. A pretty good rule of thumb is higher in the water column (10-20feet) run reds and oranges, middle(30-50) run green and blues, and deeper run darker like purples and dark blues or blacks. There is of course variations but this is a good way to get going.

Scott

Welcome to GLF.

In the area of superior we are in, the smaller class kings have showed up again as well as the coho. Right now the target is coho and they love the flasher fly combo this time of year. We will run 2 riggers with FF combos normally not deeper than 15 feet and 2 dipsys 40-50' back on a #2 setting. The other thing we run is 1-3 color cores with small jointed smelt raps.

If you are after lake trout right now they have started their inshore run for the year and for us it is usually more of a gold and orange spoon bite behing dipsys and downriggers and they are all over the water column. Best of luck!

even if the sun is up, don't be afraid to throw some glow in the dark spoons out there. Sometimes those get hit in the middle of the day when non-glow goes untouched. I just love my glow in the dark spoons I guess!! Good luck and welcome to the site. If you catch a fish in spot your trolling and are marking more fish on the finder, don't leave that spot! Troll thru it at all angles, zig-zag a bit. Keep track of what it was on and the speed you were trolling. Chances are if you caught 1 in that spot, more will soon follow!

I can't help you on Superior but welcome to the site. There are a few Superior guys on here, plus a lot of experienced fishermen (and a few fisherwomen) who can help you with more general questions so don't hesitate to ask. Good luck to you.

Great stuff! Thanks for all the tips they really help. Well we did just run primarily spoons and the fishIng gods smiled on us. We pulled in a nice lake trout running a gold and orange little Cleo.we were in about 115 fow and had the spoons at about 40 ft. We also tried a J plug but didn't have any takers. The fog was incredible in the morn. But burned off by about 1:00. No pictures this time but will carry a camera from now on. Thanks again for the tips!