Depth Raider question

I just purchased the Depth Raider and have read on this site the alternate way to attach the probe to the cable using a Tru-Trac Klincher. My question is how are you guys connecting the ball to the probe. Are you using the method that comes with the DR or is there a better alternative? Thanks for the help.

the klincher is the way to go, makes the probe removable. I would NEVER EVER EVER trust crimps with an expensive probe on the end of the cable.

you need to drill out the rivet and replace the snap swivel with one more heave duty use a #10 3/4" stainless steel machine screw, a couple stainless washers and a nylock nut.

When you install the klincher on the cable, leave yourself about a 4" tag end of cable out the top of the klincher, strip about a 1/4" of the coating off the cable and install a ring terminal.

inastall the machine screw with a washer on the head side, through the klincher body and the swivel eye, install the other washer the ring terminal attached to the wire and then install the nylock nut. This keeps a metal to metal contact throughout the system to transmit the signal from the probe to the coated cable.

Here is a pic of it all together. I redo this at the start of the season and once mid season and the cable coating gets a little chewed up.

4271765e56ac18f6.jpg

Tim

the klincher is the way to go, makes the probe removable. I would NEVER EVER EVER trust crimps with an expensive probe on the end of the cable.

you need to drill out the rivet and replace the snap swivel with one more heave duty use a #10 3/4" stainless steel machine screw, a couple stainless washers and a nylock nut.

When you install the klincher on the cable, leave yourself about a 4" tag end of cable out the top of the klincher, strip about a 1/4" of the coating off the cable and install a ring terminal.

inastall the machine screw with a washer on the head side, through the klincher body and the swivel eye, install the other washer the ring terminal attached to the wire and then install the nylock nut. This keeps a metal to metal contact throughout the system to transmit the signal from the probe to the coated cable.

Here is a pic of it all together. I redo this at the start of the season and once mid season and the cable coating gets a little chewed up.

4271765e56ac18f6.jpg

Tim

this is the same way i set mine up and it works great..

Mine has also been like that for a couple of years now if I am planning on running the probe deep I remove the snap swivel and bolt the probe on directly to the Klincher this will add roughly 40 to 60ft of depth I have had my probe down to 275 and it still works not sure what actual depth was due to blow back probably not much over 200 since it had a 12lb ball on it. Just a note to remind everyone once you hit 39.6 deg F it will be the same temp all the way to the bottom as that temp is where water is it's heaviest. So if your probe temp continues to go below 39.6 it needs to be calibrated.