Post your best tip

Bow down and let them run! Seems no matter how long ya fight a fish it always finds a power surge just shy of the net and takes off at full steam. Lowering your rod while keeping the tension will let it pull the drag a lot easier and avoid break offs or the hooks pulling out.

Fish with the gear you have for a season before going out and buying all the new gear! Time and experience make you a better fisherman, not the hottest new gear... (but dang it's fun to buy it!!)

also, read this website!!! Guys know their stuff!!!

Enjoy the time you have on the water, and try to learn as much as you can from the things that happen while you are out there.

Take a kid fishijng every chance you can, they will NEVER forget it !

If your running sliders and get a double net the fish on the slider first and then the fish on the mainline. If you net the mainline fish first youll have no leverage on the slider fish...so make sure you net that one first!

Dont get stuck in a rut. If its not working, dont be affraid to change.

When fishing with me.....don't put your thumb on the spool, tighten the drag, or pinch the line between your thumb and the rod handle while fighting a fish or I will cut your thumb off! :D

There is over 1,000' of line on most reels. Let the fish take what it wants and wear itself out. I run my drags just tight enough so they do not creep. It does not bother me if my wire divers have an occasional creep.

This has been said before.....SHARPEN ALL OF YOUR HOOKS! Your landing percentage will go up with sharp hooks.

• 2 weeks later...

Lures can't catch fish if they're not in the water. Have your stuff sorted out and ready to go, don't motor out to the spot and then start digging out one lure at a time and set one rod at a time. Get the core far enough out that it will pull on clicker, get a diver started and set it to spool out on clicker, and then set a rigger while those pull out. Third WMFL event I had 6 rods set by myself by 5:09 and we had fish #4 on by 6.

I went out with a guy on time and literally watched 50 fish landed in the herd around us at the harbor before he had 4 rods out. Went 2/2 on a day where the kings were so thick in the piers the graph looked like a store demo.

We had a day I knew it was going to be an early bite only. Went 6/6 in the first half an hour and caught one fish in the next 5. We were throwing fish on the cabin floor to get them out of the way. Febreeze is good stuff.

Be quiet in the boat. By all means, you can talk with your friends, just don't slam the hatches shut! I have an aluminum boat, and I'm sure that sound travels through the water a long way. If it startles me above the water, I'm sure it startles the fish under water.

• 2 weeks later...

Have your gear organized and ready to go for the morning bight. That window is short get your spread out there and start hammering them.

The first rod i set if running leadcore is my 10 color, while going about 10 mph! Slow down when you get to the backing and clip on the board, get its out in about a minute.

Always have rain gear in the boat.....it seems to me that the crappier the weather is, the better the fishing.

Also if you are having someone new on your boat (this probably goes without saying) make sure to spend a little time and go over a few things that you feel they should know.