Random ??

Would it work... ???

I am sure someone has tried it....

Running a SD with a spoon in back?

Maybe J plugs?

Meat rigs....

Does the artificial "meat" work that you dip in herring oil?

Sorry for the silly questions just had it on my mind since I could not fish this morning.

Would it work... ???

I am sure someone has tried it....

Running a SD with a spoon in back?

Maybe J plugs?

Meat rigs....

Does the artificial "meat" work that you dip in herring oil?

Sorry for the silly questions just had it on my mind since I could not fish this morning.

Hi Dave\

If you look at the back of a Luhr Jenson doger package it acutually showes the doger with a spoon or a j plug behind it. So yes either should work. Very popular west coast set up.

I saw the dodger picture and that is got me thinking. I just did not know what kind of effect that SD would have on the spoon.

Being new to fishing kings I do not have alot of gear on the new boat so I did not want to loose/ tangle a bunch up trying something, when I could just ask:)

Dave Ash; I run dogger spoon up set at times, you look at your dogger the tow end that hooks to your rod has little bend, the other end that you hook your bait to has more bend with that said it would spin out on you above 1.8- 2.0 mph, SO I switch ends with the dogger this will not spin out untill reach 2.6 GPS speed, and I run 4' -6' 25lb leader off that w/good swivels always produced fish. Green alpena dimond dogger w/dream weaver - lemon ice reg. (KILLER)

When we first started this adventure in salmon catching I ran a regular sized spoon about 2' behind a spin doctor. When I told others that we were catching fish on it they looked at me funny! Hell, we had no idea what how to run flashers. We were flying by the seat of our pants and it worked, sometimes! I do believe that thinking outside the box gets you fish sometimes when others are struggling with the same ol', same ol'.

Think of this another way Dave. Practically anything will catch a Salmon. Back in the day my friend put a purple nightcrawler on a cleo and caught a small Salmon. The best way to constantly get Salmon. is to find a few setups that work, and duplicate them. If your green lure keeps getting hit, than stick a green lure on all your poles. If that blue Bubble keeps going than duplicate it on the other side. You get the point? I talked with Don from Tangled Mess charters earlier this year, and he said he had Green Dolphin mags on all his stuff. Why, because they where going. We won the WMFL tourney last Saturday doing just that. My Mountain Dew Flasher/fly has been hot, so I got three more, and all of them took fish. There is no reason to put a spoon behind a flasher when a fly is more productive.

One other thing Don said was, leave your hot setup on through the slow times. Then when the fish get active again, you have your best stuff out.

Think of this another way Dave. Practically anything will catch a Salmon. Back in the day my friend put a purple nightcrawler on a cleo and caught a small Salmon. The best way to constantly get Salmon. is to find a few setups that work, and duplicate them. If your green lure keeps getting hit, than stick a green lure on all your poles. If that blue Bubble keeps going than duplicate it on the other side. You get the point? I talked with Don from Tangled Mess charters earlier this year, and he said he had Green Dolphin mags on all his stuff. Why, because they where going. We won the WMFL tourney last Saturday doing just that. My Mountain Dew Flasher/fly has been hot, so I got three more, and all of them took fish. There is no reason to put a spoon behind a flasher when a fly is more productive.

One other thing Don said was, leave your hot setup on through the slow times. Then when the fish get active again, you have your best stuff out.

Very well put Kenny, ive fished with Don quite a few times and he very seldom changes a lure ,Becouse if the fish are not biteing , its more becouse there not hungrey , so just give them a coulpe of hrs. and they mite bite again, But more than any thing you need to have confidence in what you have in the water. So if you have confidence that a spoon behind a spinny will work , it most likely will.:)

First to answer your question Dave, Yes i have caught fish with a flasher/spoon. Moreso in the early spring. I have yet to try a j-plug behind one, but its in the works.

Nailer is talking about the ole Priority 1 Frankism "Find out what they want and give em lots of it".

Now far as having confidence in a lure and having it work. That does not usually go to well for me.

If I think the fish will like it, they probably wont. If I think it wont catch a thing, it probably will.

One of the biggest reasons I enjoy trolling for salmon/trout so much is because of all the variables and options to play around and try different set ups and keep trying til I find something that works better than the rest.

Here's my take on Salmon fishing and I doubt more than a couple of guys on this site have fished lake MI longer than me for Salmon. A hungary salmon will eat darn near anything that fits in it's mouth. When they are active and feeding all it has to be is in front of them to get hit. When they go neutral you have to find something they can't pass up as one of the guys, Frank I beleive said like mints at the checkout in a resturant you are too full to eat yet you will grab a couple of mints out of the bowl when you check out. The list of lure's and combonations of lures I have caught salmon on is huge I have run a ton of stuff behind flashers and dodgers not as much behind Spin Doctors as they are newer on the market but the idea is similar. We used to run lots of cowbells with differant lures behind them and they still work in the muddy water. The current issue is we have cleaner water and as such you have to put more natural looking baits in front of them. Chrome and white used to be the big colors now it is greens and blues for the most part, the reason is the fish can see it further in clear water. I have never tried the fake meat I imagine it would work but again it has to look natural in the water and have the right roll or you are just looking for hungary or angry fish. I personally tend to troll pretty fast so a lot of the methods like this don't work for me.

Thanks for the good info...

now to the Cut bait question..

Does any of the fake stuff you soak in hering oil work??

Yes. it will. The real premade strips work well also. We ran them in Ludington last year with descant results. A good flasher/fly set up will work just as well though, and you don't have to deal with the stink,and mess.