Need some help and opinions

I need some advice and some opinions, so I am about to open the can of worms. The following is how I run rods on my boat:

3-Riggers(two outdowns and another off the portside back corner)

4- Divers(two per side a high and low)

2-300' Coppers(one per side)

2-Full Cores(one per side)or 2-half cores(one per side)

My question is should I run my equal length coppers and full cores or split them like I do. For example: put both my fulls on the portside and my coppers on the starboard or viceversa?

I was told by a 30 year veteran charter capt. out of Ludington that I should run my coppers on one side and my cores on the other.

**** Just a side note this is the same guy that was overtaking me along my portside on Sun. and took off with my high diver, full core, and copper at 7am as i was already 5 for 5. It took me 45 minutes to get everything straight and attempt to retieve my lost board. Which left me with about 30 minutes to fish as we had to get on the road.

His excuse "you weren't trolling fast enough and I fish here all the time". Needless to say I hope we can have a man to man conversation in the bar or back alley, which ever he chooses

Run your full core (300 ft) on the outside and 300 ft copper on the inside on the same side of the boat. It's best to stack your boards from the shallowest on the outside to the deepest on the inside. Your cores will be 40 ft down on the outside and coppers 80 ft down on the inside. This will keep them from tangling together.

If you had for example, a 1/2 core and full core and a 150 ft copper and a 300 ft copper, then I would run the cores and coppers on the same side, just with the shallowest and deepest per above.

Todd this guy may have a valid point on separating cores and copper, but NEVER equal lengths on the same side next to each other. That sounds like it would have a solid chance of really spiking your blood pressure.

I split my coppers and cores up just like your program:thumb:

Well I dont like this guy already but If you are running big boards I could see his logic then you are running each side with the same setup and if you are running big boards thats important. being you are running 300 copper and 300 lead at different depths with the same lead if you get a fish on your leadcore as you probally run that outside andrun it back out then your lead will be running shallower than the copper and jumping copper across lead is gonna make a mess. when we used to run the big guys for walleye you always run the exact same program on each side to avoid jumping the shallower lines.

I have been from the school of thought that you run a V pattern. Deeper to the inside and shallower to the outside. This was confirmed by another buddy of mine who seems to have a firm grasp of what to do.

Never run same length coppers or leads next to each other unless you like snarls and buying copper and lead. There may be a point about running lead on one side and copper on the other but keep the lengths different. Like a 150 and 300 copper on one side and a half and full core off the other.

My program is 300 copper on each side full core on ea side same as you were running. I don't care if he was a hundred year veteran I would have ended his day right there he would have been done fishing cause I would have spent the rest of the morning running his lines over. I know most of the guys who fish around here and they know me so we give each other as much room as we can. I have no problems with most of the charter guys now the bunch that will show up in the next few weeks for the run they are pretty much fair game.

The shallow outside to deep inside V pattern works great, I never tangle cores and copper and I run full cores and 300 copper on the same side all the time the biggest problems can come when fish hit the deep divers and run out to the side and can get into one of the outside presentations, that has happened only once since I started using the V presentation. The charter guy should have his nuts removed.

I agree 100% with supertramp.

Remove this guys nuts for trying to tell you what to do after he ran you over.

Your program (v) is what I would stick with.

Now there is some sense to 100, 150, 300 copper on the one side, and full (or more), 7, 5, 3 or whatever core on the other side.

This way you KNOW for sure that your depths won't mess with eachother.