My dad and I headed out to the bank Sun. morning and fished from 5:00 to 8:30. We set up in 120 FOW on a North troll with a 6 rod spread but after a few good tangles due to the strong current I dropped down to two riggers and two dipsies. We also had to switch to trolling East and west to help deal with the surface conditions. We fished in 120 to 160 FOW early and from 200 to 250 after sun-up, and ended up going 8 for 9 with 7 kings and 1 stealhead. We never got into any big fish but good eaters for sure. Riggers and dipsies were both working for us with FF combos on dipsies, and spoons and FF combos on riggers. White flashers and green or blue glow flies, and a happee meal spoon were the best for us. By 8:30 we had had enough beating and headed in.

img00051.jpg

Hi Kyle,

I want to thank you for your Sturgeon Bay updates too. Up until this year I hadn't been Salmon fishing for a number of years and this year I rigged my boat up with riggers and rods and we were in SB twice in July. I think we ended up with 47 fish in the two trips (first was 2 1/2 days second was 1 1/2 days) so I felt pretty good about the results given the time away. We always fished up around Washington Island back when, and on the second trip we went up there for a day out of the 1 1/2. But reading your reports from the areas we fish is great, and honestly tempts me to endure another weekend of sleep deprivation.

On our first trip I started with a bunch of colors and variety, but in the end we did the best on 8" double crush glow SDs with double aqua howie flies. I ran the 8" glow and chrome hot spots side by side with the SDs, but whether it was speed or preference, we caught more fish on the SDs so that's what we ran exclusively at the end. So I would concur with your flasher fly program and resulting success.

Thanks again for the reports and I'll look for you on our next trip, which unfortunately probably won't be until next year. We take an elk hunting trip to Idaho every year in early-mid September, so now my weekends get pretty full getting ready for that.

Good Luck - Dan Ward

Hi Kyle,

I want to thank you for your Sturgeon Bay updates too. Up until this year I hadn't been Salmon fishing for a number of years and this year I rigged my boat up with riggers and rods and we were in SB twice in July. I think we ended up with 47 fish in the two trips (first was 2 1/2 days second was 1 1/2 days) so I felt pretty good about the results given the time away. We always fished up around Washington Island back when, and on the second trip we went up there for a day out of the 1 1/2. But reading your reports from the areas we fish is great, and honestly tempts me to endure another weekend of sleep deprivation.

On our first trip I started with a bunch of colors and variety, but in the end we did the best on 8" double crush glow SDs with double aqua howie flies. I ran the 8" glow and chrome hot spots side by side with the SDs, but whether it was speed or preference, we caught more fish on the SDs so that's what we ran exclusively at the end. So I would concur with your flasher fly program and resulting success.

Thanks again for the reports and I'll look for you on our next trip, which unfortunately probably won't be until next year. We take an elk hunting trip to Idaho every year in early-mid September, so now my weekends get pretty full getting ready for that.

Good Luck - Dan Ward

No problem Dan I'm glad you enjoyed the reports.

I ran some double crush glow SD's as well but I never got them to fire as well as the white crush glow coyote and protroll flashers. I probably have to do some more adjusting between the speed and leader length with the SD's.

Good luck elk hunting!