Went out this morning and was putting lines in at 6:00. Started at 80fow of water trolling NW. Picked up two kings on divers set on 3/190 back spinney and flys. Got another on 5 color flounder ponder. Then a fourth on ten color with a 4oz inline on ace high blue splatter back. This was all before I could get a ten rod spread in the water. Trolled out to 110 fow, then turned south and never pick up another fish until 1:00. Was everywhere from 100 to 140 fow. Decided to troll in at the point and when we reached 80 fow all hell broke loose. Had three doubles and a triple at one point, all on boards running 10 color and 5 color, DW lemon ice spoon and ace high plugs. (green splatter back and blue splatter back) A couple of times I hand fish hit when I was try to attach the boards with the line in my hand. We had to head in at 2:30 due to a crew member turning green in the 5-7 footers that where rolling. We finished the day 11 for 13 with 7 fish coming from 1:00 to 2:00 in the afternoon in 80 to 70 fow. All seven of those fish where over 11lbs with the largest two being right at 14 lbs. My question is why were these fish hear in the middle of the day with a sunny sky and a strong west wind that should have pushed the cooler water off shore. Not to mention that at least 5 of the seven fish were taken on 5 color lead that with the way the boards and where ripping through the waves couldn't have been more that 15 feet deep. With a surface temp at 77 degrees. Our 11 fish weight was 120lbs. This was my personal best weight per king. What a great hour of fishing:grin:

Great catch. Water temps seem to be much less of a factor the last couple of years. I think with the thinning alewife population they just seem to be going where the food is and if it happens to be in warm water it doesn't change the fact that they are HUNGRY!

The fish are staging for the spawn and are holding Bromley said they are feeding putting on fat for the spawning run the next three weeks should see some fantastic fishing up and down the peninsula. Last week we caught all of our fish in 60 to 100 FOW and the 7 color and 10 color lead core was hot as well as the deep riggers with in 10 feet of the bottom. When we marked bait we caught fish.

Weird thing, but this year we have hit our biggest kings when the sun is high in the sky. We hit a few back in June when everyone said South Haven was dead at 5:00 pm. I think it has a lot to do with being in the right place at the right time and having your best big king spread out!