wire divers/ small boat

I usually just run two dipseys with the mag ring with braided line on the # 3 setting b/c I was always worried about tangles with my down riggers but reeading these posts about running divers on the#1 setting with wire has me wondering what kind of wire are we talking about here? Also would you run four dipseys on a 18' deep v boat with out worry?

30 pound 7 strand trolling wire. Located here.

Its ok to run your divers at 1 or 1.5. You will get close to a 1' down for every 2' out ratio at that. Rarely will you tangle with your riggers. Trolling sideways to a strong current may blow them over.

I've ran 4 diver on my 17' Sea nymph with no troubles before. I really like 4 divers this time of year, when the fish are hitting spinnies/flies. We run 4 wire divers, 2 mags set at 1, and 2 mags set at 2.5. my low divers will run at the 1/2 ratio, and the highs will run at a 1/3 ratio.

Here's a great shot of two divers running next to each other.

divers.png

Welcome to the site Boomer. Where do you fish out of?

I started back fishing on a 18ft Starcraft we had 2 riggers and 6 rods for divers ran up to 3 per side very few issues. I still run several divers for harbor patrol nice easy way to keep a bunch of lures close to the boat when in shallow water wire diver on 1 braid diver on 2 mono diver on 3 and slide diver on 4. Toss out the 2 riggers and troll the basin all day10ft wide on top 40 to 60ft wide at the bottom. 10 Plugs in formation hunting Kings LOL.

30 pound 7 strand trolling wire. Located here.

Its ok to run your divers at 1 or 1.5. You will get close to a 1' down for every 2' out ratio at that. Rarely will you tangle with your riggers. Trolling sideways to a strong current may blow them over.

I've ran 4 diver on my 17' Sea nymph with no troubles before. I really like 4 divers this time of year, when the fish are hitting spinnies/flies. We run 4 wire divers, 2 mags set at 1, and 2 mags set at 2.5. my low divers will run at the 1/2 ratio, and the highs will run at a 1/3 ratio.

Here's a great shot of two divers running next to each other.

divers.png

Welcome to the site Boomer. Where do you fish out of?

Ken, Those two rods look similiar in lenth, is it OK to run 9ftrs? I plan on adding some wire low divers soon and was wondering if anyone had any problems running two rods the same lenth that close together.

I used to run 2 divers per side every time out in my old 18' holiday. I had the low divers on braid, magnum size set on 1. Then the high divers used to be the regular size on 3 but on mono. The problem with this was tripping the mono when they were a ways behind the boat. Switched those to braid as well and had no more problems. I still am running the same 4 divers in my 22' Sabre now. I had the low divers on a 9.5' rod and the highs on a 10.5' rod in both boats. I really liked being able to easily get the whole set up outside of my corner downriggers. And the difference in length helped resetting one or the other after a fish hit.

I will be running 4 divers this upcoming weekend. I just picked up 2 new to me cabela's 8' depthmaster inner flow rods w/ sealine 27's at a great deal. what I plan on doing is running the 8'er's to the inside and then run my 9'6" rods as the outside diver rods. I think this makes sense, at least in my mind.

Also it was mentioned earlier in the thread about current pushing your divers, I tend to believe that your riggers will also be pushed by this current avoiding them tangling. This is just MHO.

Your riggers will only get pushed in the current depending on you weights.

If you fish heavy weights (15lbs or more) they will get pushed less.

However, then you start talking about pancakes vs rounds vs fish shapes, etc etc etc.

If you watch your lines and how they are running behind the boat you should be fine.

Sounds to me like you need a bigger boat ( don't we all ).

Ken, Those two rods look similiar in lenth, is it OK to run 9ftrs? I plan on adding some wire low divers soon and was wondering if anyone had any problems running two rods the same lenth that close together.

The Pic is from Profishient Charters/Blood Run Tackle web site. They look like Talora rods. Most likely 9'6" and 8'0"

This shows a better angle.

aerial.png

I would go with 1.5' difference min. I had two sets of 10' rods last year, and it made setting the outside rod very hard. Now I have 8'-0" for the inside, and it works great.

I would go with 1.5' difference min. I had two sets of 10' rods last year, and it made setting the outside rod very hard. Now I have 8'-0" for the inside, and it works great.

You have confirmed my suspicion

Thank you to all who posted replies I generally fish out of port sheldon or holland,and i may have to buy some mag dipseys . another question I have is does wire fit on a pen 209 reel or do I do I have to go larger?

I concur with salmon seeker, you're definitely going to want the line counters. Not only will you be able to calculate how deep you are, once you find that sweet spot you'll be able to get the presentation right back in that zone. Takes a lot of guess work out of it

Thank you to all who posted replies I generally fish out of port sheldon or holland,and i may have to buy some mag dipseys . another question I have is does wire fit on a pen 209 reel or do I do I have to go larger?

Not a good choice for wire. Cheep drags, low retrieve ratio, and no line counter. The least expensive reel I would go with would be a Okuma Convector cv30d. They can be had at franks for $70

The Pic is from Profishient Charters/Blood Run Tackle web site. They look like Talora rods. Most likely 9'6" and 8'0"

This shows a better angle.

aerial.png

Those are Talora 10's and 9's. We have used 9's and 8'6s before, even two tens without issue. Longer is better for reading your divers angle in the current..

Gregg