Muskegon 8/13pm 8/14am

Went over to fish the WMFL event. Got started a little later than I wanted friday night so we headed straight out. The ride was bothering my back so we didn't end up getting out as far as I wanted, I was planning on trolling back east. Anyway, we set up in 90' on a west troll and hooked up with 2 small kings (6-8 lbs) both on Ace High plugs. One was 225' back on a braid diver and the other was off an SWR 80' down. Went all the way out to 160' but there wasn't much out there. Nailer was doing good inside of 100' and we both noticed that the south troll was better so we had a plan for saturday. In the morning we ran north to Duck Lake and set up in 85' on a south troll. I had a high and low diver on the inside of the boat (shore side) along with an SWR on that rigger on that side. The current was RIPPING from the shore. When the SWR fired with an Ace High Canadian the fish got into both divers on that side. I thought that I set the divers on the wrong side in the dark but it was just the current pushing them so far over to the side. We ended up landing that fish (12#'s or so) and reset the high diver to the outside. I was in the process of moving a fullcore with an Ace High Green Scaly plug over the the inside of the boat when it started pulling back. Landed a 6-8# king. With the current so strong we angled southeast a little so we were headed into the current. As soon as we did a wire diver 125' back w/ a Mountain Dew spinny and Mirage fly fired. It was back to 200' by the time I got it out of the holder and still smoking so I took a seat and let him run out to 375' before he got tired. I was slowly working him in when the SWR rod fired again. Netted mine (15#'s) and dumped him on the floor before netting the second. All of these rods were running 60' down where there was a solid line of bait across the screen. As the sun came up that all disappeared so we tried to drag bottom with no luck. The current and wind made it tough to change direction without tangling. Had some bad news when we topped a 4' wave and had the wind blow the boat sideways. The combination of the wind and current took all the pressure off my wire diver and it plopped into the lake. So if anyone catches a Daiwa Heartland rod with a Shimano Tekota on it in 85' of water north of Muskegon I would like it back. I can identify the lure that is on it:) Either way had a good time with my brother and brother in law, even though there was a lot of back talk when the captain issued orders. We ended up pulling a little early because the weather was really hard on my back. 4'+ waves with a strong wind. We ended up finishing 3rd behind Team Nailer's 58# 5 fish box. Ours was 47#'s (I think) so not bad for 4 fish.

I usually tell my driver to keep the sub-troll rod straight behind the boat. That was not a possibility yesterday and I spent 90% of the time at the helm just trying to keep the pointy end going where I wanted.

Great job to those who got on them. We didn't.