Current v Hookup Ratio.

We Stayed at, and fished Holland this past weekend. We did not fish the Big Red, rather just for fun. When we fished Friday Pm it was obvious the current was coming from the South (rather typical for that area). Saturday we left the peer heads in the dark an ran North intending to troll South. When we shut down in 80 fow there was a rather stiff SE. wind. So rather than bouncing and beating ourselves up, we just trolled North. We where soon into fish, but they kept coming off (total of 15 hits, 12 hookups, 1 break off, and 5 landed fish). When all the big boats came out of the harbor, they set up near us, but trolled South (into the current).

Now, do you thing our hookup to land ratio was from the fish slapping at the lure backward? Or was it just bad luck. Normally we land %80-%90 of the hookups we get (we also normally troll into the current). All my hooks have been sharpened. The coppers with both spoons, and plugs lost the most fish.

Personally since fish tend to face into the current I tend to troll with the current that way my lures are coming toward the fish not coming up behind them. When trolling with the current I tend to let the boat wander back and forth more than I do when trolling against it. I also prefer to have my up speed faster than my down speed as it for me is easier to keep a active Steelhead spread and still have a few lures deep for Salmon and Trout. I have been to many seminars and you will hear both schools of thought as to trolling with or against the current. My thought is since I grew up river fishing most of my life has been spent with my bait going with the current and I never had a hook up problem. I also have noticed that the baitfish often seem to swim with the current or at least move with it.

Personally since fish tend to face into the current I tend to troll with the current that way my lures are coming toward the fish not coming up behind them. When trolling with the current I tend to let the boat wander back and forth more than I do when trolling against it. I also prefer to have my up speed faster than my down speed as it for me is easier to keep a active Steelhead spread and still have a few lures deep for Salmon and Trout. I have been to many seminars and you will hear both schools of thought as to trolling with or against the current. My thought is since I grew up river fishing most of my life has been spent with my bait going with the current and I never had a hook up problem. I also have noticed that the baitfish often seem to swim with the current or at least move with it.

Like you Jim, as stated, we normally troll into the current. The question is; was our hookup ratio so low because we where going with the current? A very good fishing friend suspected that was the case when I told him at the dock what happened.

I should note that, all the fish that got off acted like Kings.

I honestly don't feel trolling with or against the current makes much difference as far as hook up ratio. Most days it will make a difference in the number of hits I get but not as far as landing percentage. I've found speed at the ball seems to have more to do with my landing rate. The faster I go and still get bites, the better I seem to do. My theory is the active fish will hit the faster lures and these fish tend to inhale the presentation and stay hooked up.

My typical number is around 9 for 11 but if the fish are looking for slower presentations it might drop to 5 for 11. It also seems to change by the day. One year friends and I were in Frankfort for a Steelheaders Tourney. Friday evening we hit 6 for 7 on wire divers at 2.7 sog trolling into a slight current. The next morning, Tourney Day, trolling into the current again the fish wanted it much slower. We dropped all the way down to 1.8 sog with the exact same rigs we used the night before. Hooks all were sharp and we went 1 for 19! All the fish we lost were on for at least a couple of minutes before coming off. I believe these fish were in a neutral mood and just not inhaling the lures.

Our ratio the last two years hasn't change much going in either direction. Once in while the fish seem to strike short on the flies or maybe whack it with their tails. Of course, there are days when you just have bad luck.

We had lost a bunch of fish, 3 years ago on our flies. We were running whatever hooks were purchased with the fly, sharpened. When we saw Big Weenie's tourny tie and tandum singles, we switched all our setups to these types, tied with the owner hooks. Great set-up!