Big Red Classic results

Things are fine the way they are. These individual tourneys are a blessing for the community and local clubs. Most dish out 100+% cash and prizes and put on a heck of a show for us fisher people. They raise monies for charity, donate fish, and get involved in the fishery. If you are not involved with these clubs like the Steelheaders and you are complaining about all this shame on you.

We're honest as a team and can compete with that. Most if not all guys are honest I believe. It's a small community and generally the truth will come out. We hear things and can't control that, so we just look out for ourselves. The rules are the rules that we all have to follow.

The rules of 10 fish no cull was supposed to draw more participation and protect the fishery. Most guys don't catch a limit or 10 fish every time out so that's what makes this fun. There's not enough money to make any really. A couple wins in a season and you might have some money to upgrade or party a bit, and if you don't win the $$$ goes down fast.

I like 9 rods, open communication, catch 15 weigh 10, bonus points for trout was cool. Keep it simple, no log sheets, everyone drops their cooler at weigh in, everyone leaves from the same port.

Sounds like maybe you guys should have entered and won some prizes. Saugatuck is this weekend and there's always next year.;)

Well put Timmy. Congrats to you and the Double Down team on the second place finish.

And on the rule end. how about like pulpfishing said make the captians meeting less confussing and from a personal exp. dont make new rules the morning of stick with the written rules. That way there is no well I thought this or I thought that.

honestly i have to say the rules now are pretty retard proof! Its not the fault of the fisherman with common sense of whats right or wrong that has the problem. Its the person that tries to find the loophole to work to their advantage. Ive fished alot of tournaments, and can tell you all captain meetings are the same. The same stupid questions as whats on the radio the next day and so forth. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to read the rules and figure out them. For example: If I was out fun fishing, would I keep over my limit? NO. If the fish feels small do I shake it off or just drag it, and wait for bigger? NO. Sorry guys but this is grade school crap! Lets have some common sense the rules are pretty simple and if you veer from whats given to you in the package at the captains meeting, you are cheating! Doesnt take and idiot to figure it out!

I have to agree with Spoonfed he is dead on. Hand these rules to a 10 year old who knows how to fish and they will understand them completely. Hand them to a veteran Tournament team and suddenly none of them are clear on what the words mean to them. It is really simple in a no cull event lose a fish by mistake thats fishing lose one on purpose thats cheating. We all make mistakes and we all lose fish now and then and we all know how to cheat the question is will you do it? Once you lower your standards even a little it becomes easier to lower them some more and before you know it you don't have any.

I believe you are all on to something here, but the reason this all started was not to recognize whether or not the rules were understandable, it was to try to make them so there were no loopholes. The tournaments I fished in had volunteer observers that were put on the top 5 boats in the pro and amateur division. I know that earlier this year the TT was trying to educate observers and was advertising for interested parties. I don't know how this all panned out. We did not fish any of the TT events this year because of money and time.

The sad part is most of the rules are plainly written 9 rods catch 15 weigh 10 no culling. Anyone who does not understand that should not be allowed to fish in it. Culling is discarding a item on purpose losing a fish by mistake is not culling losing one on purpose is. If you see me catch 8 or 9 fish in a row with no problem and suddenly I can't seem to get a small fish to the boat odds are I am not trying to catch the little fish. That has never been a problem for my team we are not that good on a consistant basis so you can bet I need every fish every time. There is supposed to be a little bit of luck involved if you want to rule out some of the luck I have several friends who are divers I suppose I could troll them and have them sort the fish before they are even hooked up LOL. I am pretty sure there is nothing in the rules that says I could not do that.