J plugs

Do you use J Plugs  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use J Plugs

• all the time
    • not worth my time
    • only in the fall
    • once in a while

i personally have never had much luck with j plugs. i know lots of guys use them and catch tons of fish on them, but not me.

Although i do believe the less confidence you have in a lure, the less it is going to work for you. especially when the no-confidence lure doesn't make it in the water much. that is probably more of my problem!

I don't run many LJ plugs anymore I have a lot of them but don't use em. I run mostly AceHi plugs because they are more speed tolerant. They will swim nicely even at Steelhead speed The LJ plugs and others which are similar seem to get stupid above 2.5 mph yes I know guys troll them faster but if you pull one alongside the boat going fast you will see what I mean. The Erratic action that works great at 1.8 and straight the old salmon standby is insane past 2.5 . I will likely have a ton of them for sale at the next swap meet at least 50 or 60.

From about the 1st of May on I usually have at least one J-plug in the program. Or a similar type lure like a Silver Horde or the Dream Weaver type. Went 3 for 6 Saturday AM out of South Haven and all but one of the hits and fish came on that type of lure in glow colors. First time I've ever run the DW type and took 1 fish and one other hit on it. Have always had good luck running that type of lure, especially from this time of the year on.

Duane.

Jim, Different areas of the great lakes will have different results with plugs. The main thing to keep in mind is they are a King setup. They will certainly catch all species of fish, but are best for Kings. Each bait and presentation has it's place and time to shine, knowing when that is, is the key. I find plugs to work whenever their is a thermocline and there are kings in 70 feet or less, outside of 70 feet I feel their are better setups. So for a general rule fishing milwaukee June through September is When I fish them. My advice would be to find 3 colors that work on sunny days and 3 colors for cloudy day, If conditions are right for plugs you should get results with them, if not try other presentations.

I love plugs the glo stickones you have I have quite a few of them they are made by Northport nailer and are awesome not made anymore though I used to start running those in may and they do catch all species I used to catch big walleye right along with the kings on them over the years the green with a whitebelly and black ladderback nailer plug has been my best plug hands down for LK. Huron!

Jim, Different areas of the great lakes will have different results with plugs. The main thing to keep in mind is they are a King setup. They will certainly catch all species of fish, but are best for Kings. Each bait and presentation has it's place and time to shine, knowing when that is, is the key. I find plugs to work whenever their is a thermocline and there are kings in 70 feet or less, outside of 70 feet I feel their are better setups. So for a general rule fishing milwaukee June through September is When I fish them. My advice would be to find 3 colors that work on sunny days and 3 colors for cloudy day, If conditions are right for plugs you should get results with them, if not try other presentations.

We have been running J plugs for about a month now ,and having great success , Just trying to get a feel for what every body uses . I had bought 2 of those glow stick J plugs on ebay ,and planing on running them . I haven't seen them in stores . The kings do really seem to like them, My son caught one and the king just about destroyed the hook. Also tonight and my brother in law caught a Large brown on one. Will post pictures later this week came in at 17lbs. Thanks again .