core's got me confused......

So if you guys only had 2 rods for lead core, what would they be? I have bought 2 spools of Suffix core and planned on taking 2 of my 4 DR rods and taking 2 colors for SWR's. That leaves me with a few different combos to choose, Like a 6 on one and full core on the other, or 8 on both, or 6 on both and keep 4 on the boat when I loose my SWR.:grin:I plan on adding more rods for boards next year, Im new at this and figure I will get the hang of running two before I run two per side. Also whats the best way to set it out on the board? Run it down the chute, clip the board on and swing it around? What about the dipsey rods? Man Im lost, first trip coming soon,any help would be great.

P.S. Im fishing Milwaukee

I normally run a 5 and a 7 color cores, if I need to go deeper I can add a dive bomb to th e lead core, haven't needed to go deeper than 7 this year. I have run 3 color but no takers , if I need to get really deep i could take the 3 color and run it off one of my rear riggers . If you are only running 2 rods I would suggest a 5 and 7 because you could always add weight to it and get deeper, a 4oz dive bomb would get you about an extra 25 feet.

Tight Lines

Jim

Thanks for all the help, I think Im leaning towards Jim's suggestion and maybe picking up a handfull of DB's to reach the depths I need. From what I hear theres nothing fun about a full core, Im just thinking about my 9 year old son whining......Plus Jim's got some rookie of the year numbers. Id be happy with half of that my first year:thumb: Thanks again for all the replys.

Rj Look for Mikes (GLH) video on running a dive bomb. All these guys here are my teachers, I owe allot to them, I have spent many hours out on the lake to achieve those numbers, I had my boat in for sevice and the service manager could not be leave the amount of hours I had on my boat in the short time I have had it. 152 hours. Fishing keeps me sane . I am always happy to share what I have learned here , if you need some help feel free to contact me. I am out 2-3 times a week and launch out of Mckinley. Could possibly meet you down there sometime. You could also hail me on the radio as "Woof-n-fish".

m_dscn4971.jpg

Tight Lines

Jim

Thanks for all the help, I think Im leaning towards Jim's suggestion and maybe picking up a handfull of DB's to reach the depths I need. From what I hear theres nothing fun about a full core, Im just thinking about my 9 year old son whining......Plus Jim's got some rookie of the year numbers. Id be happy with half of that my first year:thumb: Thanks again for all the replys.

The fish that it catches are fun. Full core isnt bad, its starts getting a little long after that. My 300' copper is same length anyways. Just my .02;)

Get at least one full core. It has been DEADLY for me this year at times taking close to 1/3 of the fish caught this year. I always run one off each side. Its not bad to real in, I actually like it, more of a battle than just the short downrigger lines. I actually have 12 and 14 color setups that at times have good success. Other than that I would get a 5 color thats my $.02. I have never tried the dive bombs.

If it were mine I'd go with 2 full cores. That way after you tangle the first one in your dipsy you can cut it down to 5 or 7 colors! It's bound to happen so you might as well start big! Really though full cores are not that bad to reel in, I am going to have to say I would rather reel a full core in any day over 450 feet of copper! That copper is HEAVY, but it catches fish! We have caught a lot of fish on full cores and a lot of fish on 5 and 7 colors. When we first started running boards we started with 2 full cores, one on each side.