Black's Releases

I have removed my out and down riggers when fishing for walleye. On my two inside riggers I tried some Black's Releases when fishing fairly deep for walleye. What impressed me the most about these releases is the amount of load you can put on the rod even with the releases set light for walleye. It seems the Black's releases will trip with an outward pull, but the upward pull of a loaded rod will not trip them. I like a lot of load on my rigger rods. I may switch to Black's releases even for Salmon. Nothing worse than loading a rod and the @#%$ releasing and have to be brought back up for a reset.. It takes a lot to impress me, but these releases have. I don't run riggers for walleye much, but they have their time and place.

Just make sure that when you are loading up your rigger rods with lite line that you are not damaging your line. I generally fish for salmon but I have one rigger rod with 14# test on it and I have had a couple break-offs because of weakened line. I have now started using rubber bands hooked into the blacks release without anymore problems. I was also fishing down around 100 FOW and had a lot of load on that rod. At walleye depths and speeds it may be less of a problem.

frank if you like the blacks check out the chamberlain release www.downriggerrelease.com same concept with a little better adjustment.you can also adjust the pre load on the chamberlains.you can have the rods preloaded to the point line is creeping out of the reel and still have a 10 inch walleye release:thumb:they have them at franks now.

frank if you like the blacks check out the chamberlain release www.downriggerrelease.com same concept with a little better adjustment.you can also adjust the pre load on the chamberlains.you can have the rods preloaded to the point line is creeping out of the reel and still have a 10 inch walleye release:thumb:they have them at franks now.

I did consider the Chamberlain releases but thought I'd try the Black's. If the Black's didn't work out I would have tried the Chamberlains. The reason I tried the Black's was strictly economics. With the concept being the same I have no doubt that they are also a great product.:)

Frank, we have been using the Black's for both salmon and walleye. They are great !

I will never go back to the grip type.(pinch pads)

Shu, Have you noted any wear from the releases on the lines?? I have been putting about 6 twists in mine. I haven't run mine for any length of time. Prior to the Black's I have been using Walkers.

I won't use anything other than the Blacks Releases. I usually don't have any problems releasing them unless they are way below 100 feet. I run 15 lb weights. If you're running lighter weights, it may be the blowback changing the angle of the release making it harder to release. Also, it could be too much loading lifting the weight at an odd angle causing it to release harder (just guessing here).

I won't use anything other than the Blacks Releases. I usually don't have any problems releasing them unless they are way below 100 feet. I run 15 lb weights. If you're running lighter weights, it may be the blowback changing the angle of the release making it harder to release. Also, it could be too much loading lifting the weight at an odd angle causing it to release harder (just guessing here).

I am able to intentionally trip these releases with a quick pop of the rod. What I was referring to above was accidental trips. I had the releases set real light for eyes, yet I was able to load the rod to the max. I am more than pleased with these releases. :)

Shu, Have you noted any wear from the releases on the lines?? I have been putting about 6 twists in mine. I haven't run mine for any length of time. Prior to the Black's I have been using Walkers.

No sir. We have been using them on my boat, Don's boat, JD's boat, and many others. No sign of wear on any of them.