GPSproblems and not happy with cabelas

WEll i attempted to fish yesterday. WE got out and my 87 day old humminbird was not working only fish for a few mins. Spent an hr on the phone with hb tech support found had bad gps ant no big deal they will send a new one right a way. Call cabelas they said they have a 90 day return policy and to bring it in and just get it replaced. So i spend the afternoon removing it and driving down to dundee to find out there is only a sixty day warr. and they wont replace it because it was an was last years model. I told him i just wanted something camparable. After two hrs arguing with these people they wanted to give me instore credit and i think they seen steam coming out my ears. Finnally i got my money back witch wasnt what i wanted i wanted it replaced. You wont catch me spending any more money there. I would rather spend more here locally then deal with them a**ho*** again.

So the question i have you is what GPS/chartploter do u recomend? And if you know of any good deals please let me know

Thanks nick

Nick,

I have the Lowrance lcx27c hd, I know there are alot of guys on here that will bash Lowrance but i cannot. i have had mine for four years and not had any problems. I feel it is very user friendly and has always been very reliable. I also have 2 buddies that have bought the new Hd models one of them bought just the sonar model and the other bought the combo(sonar&gps) and they are also very happy.

Todd

Nut-N-Eze

I run Garmin units on my boat and have been very happy with the units and with the customer service when I have had to contact them. Which hasn't been often. I have also heard good things about the Humminbird units. It seems like your problem is with Cabela's, not HB. Might want to look around for another HB unit. Sounds like Todd had good look with his Lowarance but I wouldn't put one on my boat. There is always the chance that you could get a bad unit, especially when dealing with marine electronics. What the company does afterward is very important and Lowrance is notorious for their horrible customer service.

Lowrance is notorious for their horrible customer service.

That has been remedied so please quit posting that kind of stuff. It was a problem in the past. the problem stemmed from when navionics took over lowrance and the people in the customer care didn't want to conform to the new rules under the new company. Also there was a time that duing the take over they couldn't service the lake insight stuff as they didn't have the licensing in place yet. it only took a couple months but people didn't listen to cust care when they were explained about that and just got on another message board and started spouting off a bunch of lies. they got the licensing in place and there is no issue. My friend is a Rep for Lowrance and charter captain, and told me all about the problems at the time. he also advised me at the time to hold off on buying a new unit due to the issues and let me know about 4 months after that that things had been resloved. Since then they have been remedied and the people giving the problems are no longer there. the new team is great to deal with. My first hds 5 i got back in march had an issue and Lowrance went way above what they would have had to do so that i could fish three days after the problem was identified. Just like anything electronic you can get a melon. we spent 1500 on a new tv with speakers that wouldn't work on the left side of the tv. stuff happens like that. unfortunatley a few people gave the company a bad rap over the 6 - 8 months before it could get remedied.

I have a hds 5 w sirius weather and love it. i wouldn't buy anything else.

Now as far as cabelas and their return policy, it sucks and i buy all my major stuff at bass pro now if at all possible. I hate cabelas new 60 day policy. Bass pro is pretty good. i bought a lyman reloading press from them and had it for almost a year dealing with an issue that i didn't know was an issue. i saw another press and saw a lock that was supposed to be part of the arm assembly so the press wouldn't over cam. went into the store they looked up my purchase by my credit card number and 11 months later let me return the item cash back on card so i could get another press buy rcbs

I agree that with electronics there is always a chance that the unit could have issues. But people have been having problems with Lowrance customer service for years. Not just lately or during the buyout. If they have improved it then that is good. But you don't get a reputation for bad service in a short period of time nor do you repair it in a short period of time. I will believe it when they have a track record for providing good customer service. They don't have that right now so I couldn't in good conscience recommend them.

I have a Humminbird 917c combo with the 7" screen, no problems with the unit. I like the big display and it fires up quick and locks on to satelites fast. Mine has the external antenna and thats the only way to go.

Tom

I agree that with electronics there is always a chance that the unit could have issues. But people have been having problems with Lowrance customer service for years. Not just lately or during the buyout. If they have improved it then that is good. But you don't get a reputation for bad service in a short period of time nor do you repair it in a short period of time. I will believe it when they have a track record for providing good customer service. They don't have that right now so I couldn't in good conscience recommend them.

true there. they actually are doing a good job but people tend to only post negative things and not the good things that occur so you are more apt to hear negative and hardly anything positive. Again the people that were the problems are no longer working for the company Navico let them all go and has a whole new staff running the customer service department. the biggest probels were occuring during the buy out. and my dad and i have had lowrance units for ever. only lowrance units. we did have problems with customer service but it was just certain paople you talked to on the phone. if we called back and got someone else on the phone then issues were resolved. There was a lady Carol there that everyone was ticked on the bass fishing boards about because she was let go and some people loved her. I hated if i had a question and she answered the phone. she was a PITA to deal with and the first one let go because of that. there is just to much to post about all the issues on here but navico has worked on turning that around and they are working on getting better turnaround time. For example about 6 years ago a seacharter 480df that i had out of warranty about 3 months got Her on the phone just send it in and pay the 150.00 to look at it. hung up called back and got Jason who is now the head of cust service. he had a new transducer out to me 2nd air. when i got the new transducer i wasn't even billed. At the time it just seemed to depend on who you talked to on the phone. It is a whole different ball game there and Navico isn't playing game to salvage that rep from a few bad people they had working there.