starcraft islander

starting to look into some info on the starcraft islander with outboard for my next purchase. was wondering what people thought of the boat. I here it is a good boat and can handle rough water.

has anyone have problems with loose rivits?? after a few years, are they fairly water tight?? My first boat was a smokercraft and it didn't take long for the rivits to loosen up.

would like to go with an outboard, thinking aout 150HP, anyone have any comments regarding the outboard model. Have heard positive things about the inboards. does the outboard version plow throught the water, can it get up on plane fairly quickly??

figure I'll get as much info as I can before I talk to a dealer.

thanks

Islanders are good boats. There is a reason that you see a ton of these boats on the water. All riveted boats will leak eventually. I don't think the Islanders are any worse than others. The ob version with the transom bracket is a nice setup. I don't think they plow water as long as they have enough power. There are quite a few guys on this site who have one and I have never heard a lot of complaints. I think that there is one for sale in the classifieds, might want to take a look.

I've got the I/O version of the Islander and it's old (1975). I had it out on an inland lake a week ago for the first time and after about 5 hours of drift fishing I pulled the plug and got about 1 gal of water out of it. I don't know if it was rain water stuck up in the bow that moved to the stern in travel or not because I put the plug in while it was in my driveway. It is going out again for a recheck ride to see if and where it leaks this weekend. Once I get this dealt with, maybe I can get on the big lakes before snow flies. Between work and other things I wonder why I bought the boat...but I know when I hear the scream of the reels for the first time it will be ok.

Having said all this, I've been on other Islanders and Chieftans and I love them. They handle rough water good and are easy to trailer. In fact, when I decided to buy a "big boat" I specifically looked for one.

If you do get a leaker most guys pull the deck up and coat the insides with Gluvit and that seems to seal it up good.

Just my two cents worth.