Who says the east side is dead?

Plied the waters off Pt. Sanilac sunday with the wife and my daughter. Action was fast and furious, anywhere from the highlines off the big boards to the riggers top to bottom. Spoons on the riggers, cranks on the boards, all had fish time. Seemed line no particular color was key. Talk about a mixed bag: 7 steelies, 3 coho, 2 pinks, and 2 walleyes.

To all the nay sayers - there are still fish to be caught in Lk. Huron - if you are willing to put the time and effort in. :grin: :grin:

003.jpg

006-2.jpg

hmm... that's a nice box of fish. Should put a disclaimer in your post **results not typical**.. I will drive the extra 45min t and go to Lake Erie

That is kinda funny :grin: and may be true for some people, but seems I must get lucky. Got these fish within a few short hours on a morning with the wife. Maybe she is good luck or something.

Copyof005.jpg

Lake Huron is for sure not dead!! We go out a couple times a week and usually catch 3 to 5 fish in an hour and a half in the evening. You just have to find where they are at. We went out Monday and caught 2 lakers and a nice 14 lb. coho in just 1 hour. Port Sanilac is the place to be in southern Lake Huron. Good job turfwrench and keep haulin' them in!:)

Lake Huron is for sure not dead!! We go out a couple times a week and usually catch 3 to 5 fish in an hour and a half in the evening. You just have to find where they are at. We went out Monday and caught 2 lakers and a nice 14 lb. coho in just 1 hour. Port Sanilac is the place to be in southern Lake Huron. Good job turfwrench and keep haulin' them in!:)

Heidi, A warm welcome to the GLF site.:)

:welcome:

Keep up the good work, your hauling in some great catches. Keep it up and youll probably have some company...lol

And welcome aboard Heidi, this is a great place. If ya need anything dont be affriad to ask, allot of good folks here with a wealth of knowledge.

hmm... that's a nice box of fish. Should put a disclaimer in your post **results not typical**.. I will drive the extra 45min and go to Lake Erie

I've been thinking about this quote for a couple of days now. Of the 100's of salmon I've caught out of Lake Huron, from Port Huron all the way up to Alpena and in between, 2 have been stocked fish. And that was ages ago. Almost every fish I caught had ALL of it's fins! I know this is just a humerous poke at Lake Huron, but I honestly think Huron is going to make a comeback. Sure, our numbers of kings aren't like Michigan, but our fish are getting healthier. A few years ago, all you would catch is 8 pounders. All head, no body. Now, I've heard reports and seen fish pushing 20 pounds! As long as we can keep the Asian carp out, I feel Huron will make it back to it's glory years once again! Give Lake Huron a shot, when you find the fish, you will be pleasantly surprised at how many you catch and how healthy these fish are. But then again, you can't beat our crowds over here!:P

hmm... that's a nice box of fish. Should put a disclaimer in your post **results not typical**.. I will drive the extra 45min and go to Lake Erie

I've been thinking about this quote for a couple of days now. Of the 100's of salmon I've caught out of Lake Huron, from Port Huron all the way up to Alpena and in between, 2 have been stocked fish. And that was ages ago. Almost every fish I've caught had ALL of it's fins! I know this is just a humerous poke at Lake Huron, but I honestly think Huron is going to make a comeback. Sure, our numbers of kings aren't like Michigan, but our fish are getting healthier. A few years ago, all you would catch is 8 pounders. All head, no body. Now, I've heard reports and seen fish pushing 20 pounds! As long as we can keep the Asian carp out, I feel Huron will make it back to it's glory years once again! Give Lake Huron a shot, when you find the fish, you will be pleasantly surprised at how many you catch and how healthy these fish are. But then again, you can't beat our crowds over here!:P

Truthfully Heidi I love the lack of "fishermen" on this side. Yes there are fish here and I will continue to prod the waters off of sanilac. I think it may be the best port on this side. The lack of patience and the desire to limit out quickly is not for this side of the lake. Putting your skills to work is the key to get some fish. I really don't care that I don't limit out every time out, I am happy to catch a couple. There is a lot of water out there and to capitalize on a few fish may not necessarily be just luck, could be that we actually fish for them.

A couple pics from sat afternoon - - - yep, more great fish from Huron. Score=10-lb laker, 6.5 steel, and 3 lb coho. What more can ya ask for on a short trip??

001-9.jpg

003-3.jpg

Your right there Turfwrench! When you were out last week on Monday, were you pulling the planer boards off a mast? The one pic. you posted has that funky looking freighter in the background. We were out there that day, my husband, my self and my step daughter. Judging from the distance away, I think we were fishing about the same depth. We've got the teal and white Proline walkaround, 23 ft. You have a Thompson cuddy, right?

Yep, ya got me pinned there Heidi. I was pulling the big boards, and yes close to the freighter. The only thing is I do not have is a cuddy. It is a blue and white thompson though. For some strange affliction I like to work that particular shipping lane. Maybe it is because they stir the fish up when they go through. Give a holler this weekend if you are out. would like to meet up with you guys and share some stories of the day.

Good fishing to ya!!!!