Who says the east side is dead?

That is kinda funny :grin: and may be true for some people, but seems I must get lucky. Got these fish within a few short hours on a morning with the wife. Maybe she is good luck or something.

Copyof005.jpg

It's great to see Lake H making a comeback. Keep up the good work Bill. And you too Heidi.

This spring was one of the WORST years in recent history for spring salmon fishing in southern lake Huron. The past few years have been excellent for kings and cohos so I really had high hopes for this spring as it could only get better right? WRONG. What a dissapointment! I was excited that lake trout season opened early this year too and even the lakers were few and far between out of Lexington. The spring fling salmon tournament out of Port Huron was won w/ six fish after two days of fishing! I beleive only 2-3 king salmon were weighed in two days of fishing! Most boats fished Canadian waters. Yes conditions were tough for sure but still many of the big boys made it out and fished and were coming back with very few silver fish to show for their efforts. Most of the days that I fished this spring the water clarity was unbeleiveable! I could see bottom easily in 40+ fow. I love fishing Lake Huron and I have more patience than most fisherman I know however that is the main problem. When I take new fishermen out trolling they get bored easily and want to come in because we aren't catching many fish. I went to Port Austin lake trout fishing this year a few different times expecting to catch easy limits of lake trout and couldn't even catch them. After you brag about the laker fishing to your buddies it's kinda embarrasing to drag them 2.5hrs up there catch one 12oz pink salmon! (yes it probably was my fault but I live too far away to really experiment with the fishing up there and I can't afford to drive up there and fish on my own) Also how do you expect them to purchase an "all species" license when they might only fish for salmon a few times a year and probably not catch very many in Lake Huron? For me it is easier to follow the fish like many charter captains do. I am not trying to bash Lake Huron because I would love for the salmon fishing to come back close to home but I fear those days are long gone. I predict that the steelhead, brown trout and atlantic salmon fishery may take off but the days of the king salmon are gone! We'll see. I admire you diehard Lake Huron guys and gals for sticking with it but it just isn't the same for me. I will be up in Frankfort in August fighting the crowds thinking about you. (or maybe Lake O for a 30lb+ king)

Well we are about half way through our annual vacation to northern lake huron and we've caught 29 kings, 27 lakers, 1 walleye, and 1 steelhead in 25 fishing hours. So it has not been too bad so far. We only fish 2.5 hours in the morning and evening so its tough to figure out much of a program or do a whole lot of searching. And everything we have caught is extremely healthy with bulging bellys.

• 5 years later...

I'll be fishing out of Hessel for the first time ever. Used to fish Detour for salmon, but the family got a place in Hessel for a week. Would really appreciate some tips on where you caught those fish. I noticed that there's a Goose Island beyond the west entrance. Where did you go and how did you catch them? I've got all the different lures, including meat rigs.

Thanks!!!!