How long are your trips on average?

How many hours do you spend each trip?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. How many hours do you spend each trip?

• 2-3 hours
    • 4-5 hours
    • 6+ hours

• 2 years later...

For salmon usually about five hours.

Walleye since i have to drive three and a half hours to monroe. till we limit or it is to nasty to be out and i have been out in some crap weather over there. Typically about 4 hours for a three to four man limit. there are those days though..........

Majority of my charters are 5 hours dock-to-dock, tourneys longer. The few chances I get to go out for fun, usually shorter due to time constraints and just wanting to catch a fish or two and come home.

I work my behind off on charters and quite frankly, when I go out for fun I could careless if I ever catch a fish. It's all about relaxing for me

As long as it takes! Most of the time that is 4-8 hours but have been known to fish dawn to dark. If I'm going to tow the boat for 2-4 hours to go fishing, then I'm going to spend as much time on the water as I can to catch as many fish as I can. Only thing that will bring me in early is rough seas with little action on the rods. 4' seas and no fish stops being fun.

I work my behind off on charters and quite frankly, when I go out for fun I could careless if I ever catch a fish. It's all about relaxing for me

Set three riggers and go when were fun fishing. After fishing charters, you dont realize how much fun it is to go play around and not worry about working at it

As long as it takes! Most of the time that is 4-8 hours but have been known to fish dawn to dark. If I'm going to tow the boat for 2-4 hours to go fishing, then I'm going to spend as much time on the water as I can to catch as many fish as I can. Only thing that will bring me in early is rough seas with little action on the rods. 4' seas and no fish stops being fun.

I'm with Ryan. Gotta make my gas money count so we usually spend 6 hours or more.

It takes us 2 hours to get from my driveway to setting lines and the same to get back. We spend another 6 to 8 hours actually fishing, our longest day was 13 hours. We don't take many days off so we try to make it count. Some of the trips we do are stupid early in the morning. Probably should have called the boat Red Bull.

Here's a question I got for ya guys: how long do you stay out when the black flies are biting bad and in high numbers? Also, how long if there is a lot of sea fleas thick on the lines? Just curious...lol.

Well for black flies i get out the 100% deet and use it carefully not to get it on any fishing line as it will eat it, and break out the fly swatters and keep fishing. Also turn on the therma cell. I dont think anything could be worse then the little flies that were on on erie this past summer i have never seen anything like that. and nothing would get rid of them.

Here's a question I got for ya guys: how long do you stay out when the black flies are biting bad and in high numbers? Also, how long if there is a lot of sea fleas thick on the lines? Just curious...lol.

If we have caught a bunch of fish, then the flies might cause us to quit sooner. It has to be a combination of negative stuff... waves, heat, flies, bad fishing, etc to get my boat to come in "early".

Started using a new to me repellent called BuggSpray (http://www.buggspray.com/) that I heard about and it works very well to stop the flies. Menard's is the only place I have found it in Michigan.

The spiney water fleas have never caused me to shorten a trip. They can be a pain but just something to deal with.

About the only thing that really causes me to come in early is when the waves get over 4'. The whole idea is to have fun and when it isn't anymore then it is time to head in.

• 5 months later...

I'll stay out there as long as it takes and conditions allow. Black flies? We just deal with it. The mayflies hatching is pretty extreme from time to time while fishing eyes, but you can move and get away from them. On limited availability to fish I try and make every trip the best it can be.

On average it takes my boat about an hour before it breaks down. So usually 1 1/2 hours to the dock. 1 hour on the water and 1 1/2 hours home. I hope to improve my average this year though!!!! :rolleyes:

I spend weekends on the boat so it's a morning prime time event for me. Love to be on the water to watch the sun rise then fish to maybe 10am or so. Go in, clean up, and enjoy the afternoon at the marina, at the beach or in the water. If the fish are close, I might troll a bit in the evening but I'm a morning guy and leave the afternoon and evening for alternate activities.

Weekend trip consist of Friday,tow for two and half hours, Set up camper, Fish Sat. from 6am to 2 to 4 pm depending on waves and action,

Sun. fish from 6 am to noon, Pack up camper and tow two and half hours home. Wife tows the boat,( 26' striper) and I tow Fifth wheel.