downrigger ?

alright just getting back into the sport of big lake salmon fishing. what kind of leader should i run from the cannon ball. ive heard anything from 15 ft. to over 100 ft. and the last two times i went out 15 ft has not worked. so im guessing i need to try a longer lead??

My suggestion would be to keep adjusting your lead length until you find out what the fish want. As condition on the water change you may also have to change. I generally use 20' to 60' of lead, but occasionally I will stretch them out over 100.

One rule of thumb that can help is the 100' rule. The distance down and the lead should equal 100'. 50' down means a 50' lead. If I'm marking fish but can't get them to go I'll adjust. And this is only for spoons and plugs, if you run long leads with flashers it can get ugly in a hurry.

Do you guys like to run them shorter deeper, becuae you like the action more, dont think they care down deeper, or your afraid of tangles? I have run flashers up to 150 feet back and have not had an issue at any point. I will do this with my deepest line becuase theres really nothing for it to tangle in, also as a general rule I will keep them 20 feet seperated up and down, and like to change the leads by about 30 feet as well so they dont pass by a fish at the exact same time.