copper depth chart questions

I have a 300' and a 150' copper setups. On the attomic they say 300' is around 88', in my trollers book it says 40', And mosty charts I see have it around 70' All speeds are 2.5.

I just need some direction on what is close.

And is a 150' close to a full core

Thanks STEVE

A full core is 300ft(30ft per color 10 colors). It all depends on what pound copper you are using as well. It also changes how deep your bait is with how long your leader is. Anything after around 50ft of mono leader your bait will start to rise about your copper. Personally i use a 100ft leader. I'd rather have the copper tap bottom than the bait when im runnin it for lake trout. But thats just me and i know thats a little uncommon.

45 pound copper will run roughly 2 time the depth core will. That 300' of copper will be 75-85' down. Pull a flasher and it will run high. Pull a plug and it will run lower. The 40' chart may be for 30 pound copper?

Your 150 copper will run 40' +- down, very close to a full core.

It's all personal preference. Some say that the copper gives off a certain vibration that attracts fish, other say that the copper in the water will spook fish. I personally use copper as a stealth method. My leads are long. But your going to be fishing a different area where a shorter lead(30-50ft) is preferred. I'd stick with what ya got. Good luck :D whack em and stack em :D

What in-line boards are best with the 300' of copper, and what type releases? I ran it with some success this last weekend, but it was a struggle to keep it in the releases, and get it away from the boat.

Mike

I ran my 300 on churches walleye boards with the factory clips but I wraped the braided backing around the clip 2 times. It held great in 4 to 5 waves I just wish I could have caught a fish on it.

Steve

What in-line boards are best with the 300' of copper, and what type releases? I ran it with some success this last weekend, but it was a struggle to keep it in the releases, and get it away from the boat.

Mike

Mike I splice a 6' pc of 40 pound mono between the copper and braid. i use the stock release on the Church boards with no troubles. The Church boards have an adjustment screw.

I have mono spliced into mine, but I was on another guys boat and he had the copper tied direct to 50# P Pro. I bought a set of Z boards just for copper and they pull well but their clips are useless. I suppose clipping to P Pro was the biggest part of the problem, although the Church boards ran like they were swamped.

• 1 month later...

Your best bet for keeping your boards from releasing is to use the Offshore OR-18 (black) release. Tighten it down so it doesn't release even with braid. A friend that I fish with often has this setup and it's flawless.

Zboards can suck it- we tried for an entire weekend to get them to pull and couldn't make them work so stuck with Church boards. I think the best release for boards like Big Birds and Zboards would be a big Scotty pinch pad- have used them for up to and including 12oz balls on my boards.....the plunger releases from zboard were known to be junk and they will send new ones- but the boards still won't run right for us.

First off the trollers book is wrong. They let the line out while the boat is moving really fast during the test, and then slow the boat down to speed and record the value once it "settles in". Letting the copper out at trolling speeds will allow the copper to sink quicker and then settle in at a deeper depth.

Splice a small segment of 30# mono as a shock leader and to clip the board to and you will not have any false releases if the clip is in good shape. Power pro is hard on the church releases and tears them up. Mark and replace the bad ones, lots of the ones I see with tears in the rubber material need to be replaced. I've seen PP break too many times in those releases too.

Use the adjustable keel to place the boards where you want them in your spread. 200-300+ coppers +2 keel setting. 150-200 copper +1 setting, and so on.

First off the trollers book is wrong. They let the line out while the boat is moving really fast during the test, and then slow the boat down to speed and record the value once it "settles in". Letting the copper out at trolling speeds will allow the copper to sink quicker and then settle in at a deeper depth.

Splice a small segment of 30# mono as a shock leader and to clip the board to and you will not have any false releases if the clip is in good shape. Power pro is hard on the church releases and tears them up. Mark and replace the bad ones, lots of the ones I see with tears in the rubber material need to be replaced. I've seen PP break too many times in those releases too.

Use the adjustable keel to place the boards where you want them in your spread. 200-300+ coppers +2 keel setting. 150-200 copper +1 setting, and so on.

Great advice Tim.