lower unit -center fin

can any one tell me what the purpose of this little fin is in the center of the lower unit. i know it adjusts left and right. when i am on plain at a high speed the boat leans to the left no matter how i adjust the trim and i was wondering if i turn this fin a little to the right if it will level the boat out on the left

back_fin.jpg

The primary thing the fin does is to stabilize the drive at idle speed if you adjust it you will move the drive position at trolling speed. It is possible but unlikely that it would effect trim at speed unless you are not actually tracking correct at low speed. The first thing I would do is find out if your drive is running true this means make sure the drive is completely straight behind the boat and mark the wheel position. Then take the boat out and run it with the wheel in the marked position. If the boat runs straight the fin is correct. If not adjust the fin to get the boat to track straight once it tracks straight then see if it helps you with trim. Set correctly you should be able to let go of the wheel on calm water and the boat should continue to track.

Mike might be on to something with that fin. We had one on our old boat and had some handling issues with it, especially at higher speeds. I would try taking it off and see if your problem goes away.

What Nick said about the Dolefin could be right however if the boat is designed correctly it should be out of the water on plane any how if the Dolefin or whatever name is on it is still in the water on plane something is wrong either you are over loaded or have your weight in all the wrong places.