I thought the fishing was very slow to extremely bad. I didn't get skunked but I came very close to it. On the radio and at the docks, everyone had the same results. We fished from the Black Hole to the Spark Plug in the 20' to 24ft. range and from 20' to 13' range from the Rifle Bar to Pinconning with no concentrations of fish anywhere.

My personal theory is that the weeds that have grown to 5 or 6' are scattering the fish from the big groups to the bait and oxygen that the pockets of hidden weeds contain.

I would be intereste in hearing from everyone else.

Any Opinions?

Captain Russ

You might be somewhat right on the weed theory. Last weekend marked tons of fish in weedbeds North of Quanicassee in 8-14' of water, but no where else on the entire bay from buoys 1&2 inward. But the weeds are so thick it was impossible to fish through them. Heard over the radio a couple of boats got their limits in the morning that were able to locate a clear channel between some weedbeds. Other than that, not much action unless you are in 30+ ft of water off Augres.

I hear the outer bay is a struggle as well, I went to port austin today and got a few nicer fish i couldnt believe the water temps were 77.9 degrees. real funny bite today though i lost way more fish then i care to admit.

Is the boat launch open?

There are a lot of fish in the system. We are marking a ton of fish and bait fish. The bite has definitely been tougher. I think the weather patterns and bait fish are HUGE factors. The weather has limited my fishing, and I find myself fishing days I'd have turned my nose up at last year. The fish are there in good numbers both inner and outer bay.:)

I leave tomorrow morning for my annual trip to Grindstone City. Just love it up there. Taking 2 grandsons along. Not sure how long we will be there probably depends on the weather and how the boys get along. :eek: Skeeter