Olcott 7-3-10 still fishing very well

Another great day out of Olcott. fished with Dad and Adam Gierach from 6:00-1:00 and again lost count of the bites, but I know it was over 20.

We went back out to the marks from last week in 200-350 right out front of harbor and worked north, picked at a nice class of steelies and some super nice (10 lb+) cohos, but the mature kings we had last week were gone.

We ended up swinging way back inside and ended the day in 90-110 fow, picked up a 25 lb king in 100 fow near Wilson on the nuclear green spin doctor and glow blue hammer Atommik on the 60' rigger in 64 deg bath water.

Ran it in to the scale but fell just short of making the LOC board for at least a little while, it was 24 lb 14 oz on the derby scale and 20th place was 25 lb 3 oz.

riggers were fairly quiet today, junk lines took most of the fish, both of the wire divers (240 and 160 on a 2 setting) and the 400' copper took a bunch of hits.

first hing in the morning as we were setting lines Adam had a nice coho smash the mountain dew SD green crinkle howie as he was lowering the rigger. That was the only bite that combo took today, the Nuke green SD glow blue hammer Atommik set at 70 feet took several hits.

The 240 wire with green/dbl crush glow opti inticer/green krinkle Atommik took a lot of bites today. the 160 diver with a blue dolphin stingray really lit up in the early afternoon once we moved inside.

Fleas were horrendous today, they were bad offshore, but were manageable, the stuff inside was absolutely horrible. It seemed more like cottonwood fluff and was clogging up everything including the wire divers. It wouldn't slide on any type of line and even collected very badly on the 30 lb big game I splice onto my rigger rods for just that reason and which has always worked great before. I ended up hand over handing in the 25 lb king the last 20 feet because I just couldn't reel anymore.

Adam with a nice teenage king

100_1434.jpg

and with a nice coho

100_1432.jpg

and where have we seen THIS before :)

100_1436.jpg

I realized afterwards that in our haste to get in to the weigh station, neither Adam or I took a pic of the big guy (gal... it was a female) .... oops :(

Tim

Adam with a nice teenage king

100_1434.jpg

and with a nice coho

100_1432.jpg

I realized afterwards that in our haste to get in to the weigh station, neither Adam or I took a pic of the big guy (gal... it was a female) .... oops :(

Tim

Like those two are small:grin:

Nice job one some big Lake O fish.

Tim,

Great report. Did you find much trash floating when you were out?

We fished the Olcott area on Sunday 7/4/10 and it was like a mine field inside the scum line.

went out north and deeper, and we had a blast on the steelies and coho's but, best king was shy of 20#

Best bite was in top 30 fow, on riggers down 25 with double orange crush, 10' behind the ball.

We couldn't keep lines in the water. fish after fish.

Then we found the water fleas. So thick, had to hand line some fish into the boat.

(line would get stuck at the rod tip, cause the fleas were so bad.) |Anyone have suggestions to keep them off the lines ?

Try putting vasaline or crisco on a section of line. If it works then grease up the 50 or 100 feet that you have exposed. Be careful not to get any on your rod handles or other equipment. It would not make a good day to throw a rod in the lake.