J Plugs

I know that somewhere somebody prefers J Plugs over flies and spoons. I have had a little bit of luck on the J Plugs. I would like to know if there is a special way to rig them or do you just clip them on the ball and go? Also how far back do you recommend to run them? Any information will be helpful as i have about 100 of them collecting dust.

J plugs work for me later in the season (as with most people) but some people will run them all year long. I've run them on core, copper, and downriggers. Riggers is nothing out of the norm. 40' back works for me just fine.

Run them the same as you would a spoon Bob, the glows, Ladder backs and the wonderbread jointed have all woked for us done there, we also have a pink/Grey?whit glow thats produced very well in the past.. we don't put them on the riggers until mid Aug. dosen't mean they won't work now

Run them the same as you would a spoon Bob, the glows, Ladder backs and the wonderbread jointed have all woked for us done there, we also have a pink/Grey?whit glow thats produced very well in the past.. we don't put them on the riggers until mid Aug. dosen't mean they won't work now

yeahthat.gif

The relatively new Ace Hi from Silver Horde in the Double Glow is killer in Lake Mi.

http://www.silverhorde.com/plugs.html

Last year.

IMG_9082.jpg

Probably THE best shallow water presentation for big kings. As soon as their is a thermocline J plugs or Silver Hordes are a great way to target fish on lead core or down riggers. I have noticed when they are really going on plugs your riggers with a 50-60 ft stretch behind the ball the first hour are best, then run them on your cores mid morning.

I run them on my riggers and Dipsys when they get hot. If I'm more than 50 down with a rigger I only run em 10 back. Try a glow J 10 ft behind a glow ball. Kings are generally not afraid of the boat, or balls.

Probably THE best shallow water presentation for big kings. As soon as their is a thermocline J plugs or Silver Hordes are a great way to target fish on lead core or down riggers. I have noticed when they are really going on plugs your riggers with a 50-60 ft stretch behind the ball the first hour are best, then run them on your cores mid morning.

This is exactly what I would have said, and as far as when to start ,I start as early as the end of may some years, and yes they are working write no,

just read my report from last nite.:)

I like the Silver Horde Ace High Plugs. No hook harnesses to keep track of. Great plugs. I run them on all my delivery systems-riggers, cores/copper and dipseys. If you got cold water on the beach you can long line them off boards and do good as well.

I ususally run mine 40-60' off the ball early and late in the day and put em out on the cores late morning/midday.

Probably THE best shallow water presentation for big kings.

I agree with adrenalin, a fantastic presentation for kings in shallow. I especialy like using glow J-Plugs pre-dawn starting in August when the kings consistently raid the shallows early in decent numbers. Once the sun gets up I put on different colors. I've also found that my catch rate is greatly amplified in the shallows by increasing lead length to 100 feet at night and 150+ during the daytime. With my small boat I run shallower than most captains can or are willing to go- but the kings are there.

Agree with everything already said. One thing that has always worked for me is a chrome/redhead J-plug on sunny days. It works great off a deep rigger either straight or off an SWR. I usually tie the harness to the line so the plug can ride up the line. I also started tieing my own harnesses last year with 60# braid and a single treble that hangs just behind the end of the plug.

Thanks for all of the info on the J Plugs guys much appreciated. A green ladderback with a yellow belly produced a nice 11 pound king for me on Saturday off of a #0 dipsey. I like the J Plugs because you don't get too many releases where the fish aren't there. If they hit it off of the dipsey diver they are as good as in the cooler.

SBob one more item for consideration: I replace the dacron line the trebles are on with 30# Brown Fireline, which allows custom setback of the rear treble. In shallow, the finicky Kings seem to appreciate the stealth mode of the Fireline over the very visible dacron and I definitely get more hits.

SBob one more item for consideration: I replace the dacron line the trebles are on with 30# Brown Fireline, which allows custom setback of the rear treble. In shallow, the finicky Kings seem to appreciate the stealth mode of the Fireline over the very visible dacron and I definitely get more hits.

Wow, that's interesting. I'll try that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love to run J plugs during the month of August and when the salmon start up the chanells. Out on the big lake I would run them 30 feet behind the ball and in the chanells I would run them 60 feet back and only 9-12 foot down. My best J plug allways was the #3 chrome and green back.

Good luck fishing,

Caznik

• 9 months later...

I start using plugs right around this time of year. I love the Ace-Hi plugs, and J's. With the J's, I remove the front treble, less hooks to get caught in the net. I have a ton of plugs, but usually fish only 5 different favorites every year. WonderBread, double glow all glow Ace-Hi Canadian, Ace-Hi double glow Green and Blue Splatterback, and Bloody Nose everglow J's. When fish are finicky, I'll try the silver bodies with bright heads, like orange, red, chartruese, etc.