Convector 55 and Copper

Hey all,

I just ordered an Okuma 55 and 300' of Howie's super copper 45lb. This will be my first copper rig and would like some advice on the knots everyone likes.

What I would like to know is what knots are best for fitting though the Okuma 55L. From my research Okuma had a narrow levelwind guide, but has recently changed to a wider levelwind guide. I ordered it online so I'm not sure if it will come with the newer wider guide.

So, which knots do you all use that have copper on okuma 55's?

Albright, Haywire, Howie's, inline swivel, etc.

I plan to back this reel with 300yds 50lb power pro, with 15ft section mono before the copper for the planer board attachment. Probably 30ft or so of 20lb fluoro leader.

Lastly, what do i need to do if it comes with the narrow guide?

Thanks guys.

I like using the Albright knot for copper, its fast and easy to tie. If you get a reel with the narrow levelind guide I am pretty sure you can order the bigger guide separately. I'm sure some of the other guys will have a little more info for you.

I use Spro #10(i think) swivels at any copper connection and simply put the copper through the swivel and twist it on itself 10-20 times and tie your other line on the opposite side. Makes for supper easy and fast re-rigging. The swivels is small enough to go through the rod guides and wind on the reel.

http://www.spro.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SPSB-ALL

as far as the wide-mouth guides, if the reels do not have them Okuma will send you some at a reasonable price. They are fairly easy to change out.

My Okuma 55s both work great with the albright knot and the rods I use are the Eagle Claw 408's 8'6" the guides are large enough to get the knots thru, I use a 40# Power Pro Backer and about 40 feet of 20# Berkley Vanish fluoro carbon for a leader. The Albright knot is very easy to tie and you can get an instructional easily on the net by googling fishing knots.