Getting back in question

I used to do a lot of salmon fishing back in the 80s and early 90s, and we fished a lot around Washington Island (Door County, Lake Michigan). Boy did we fill our boats with big salmon. My son has me outfitting our boat to go back to Lake Michigan for salmon and I'm going to have to get all new tackle. We used to do real well on chrome dodgers and blue and green squids, but it sounds like things have moved towards flashers and flies.

This is a loaded question, but as I will have to buy all new tackle, if you could only fish with 3 flasher fly combinations and three spoons, which would they be? I'm going to probably buy about 20 flasher fly combos and a couple dozen spoons, so I'll accumulate a list from recommendations.

Many thanks - Dan

Honestly Dan, some times less is better.

Welcome aboard.

In no particular order.

Flasher/fly

#1 White/Green Spindoctor with green fly

#2 White/Blue Spindoctor with Blue fly

#3 White paddle with mirage Fly.

Spoons

#1 Green Dolphin.

#2 Blue Dolphin.

#3 Any of the Moonshine Spoons.

I'll second that!

Maybe throw in a double orange crush if you want to target some steelies.

I'd also like to run the protroll flashers with the echip (green glow and white glow) as an alternatives for the spin doctors but either work.

-- Bud

I would also agree with all of the above, green and blue, with lots of glow. One thing not to forget about is plugs. I am not sure they have changed much since you may have fished them in the last 20-30 years, but they are hot on my boat come august!

Since most others said spind doctors, I'll throw my two cents in:

1. Rigger with 11" white pearl Echip and a mirage fly (green and blue)

2. Rigger with 11" mountain dew Echip with any yellow fly

3. Area 51 spoon (especially for after dark)

4. blue or green dolphin

5. Carmel dolphin or lemon ice

6. Craigs Christmas or Freaking Veggie.

I know, I kind of cheated with multiple selections, but I wanted to give you options.

FYI, thinking you will buy 20 spoons is a laugh.

Once you get going you will have 100s.

Thanks for all the replys...........I'm glad to see Big Jon is a sponsor as I just bought 4 Pro Tournament riggers.

As you guys are so helpful.......I'm going to get 6 rod/reel combos and would like to get something decent without breaking the bank...any suggestions?

I used to run 17lb Stren as I thought it was the most resistant to all the nicks and abuse rigger fishing would provide. We used to average 15-20 lb fish and it appears they might be a bit smaller on average now.......I'm going to buy a large spool of line to feed all rods.........what do you guys like to use?

Is there an online store that supports this site where I can get all this stuff?? And if not any suggestions?

Sorry for all the questions.......but you guys will/have saved me a bunch of running around. And I know I'll have a lot more of everything, but I do agree with Nailer that once you find what works keep at it. Back in the day, we knew we had what worked and had the condidence to let it work........which usually led to catching more fish than most.

Thanks again for helping me out - Dan

PS - Keep the lure ideas coming if you still have any.

As far as bulk line goes, 20 pound Andy is a very good product, and price.

On the rod/reel question, you will get a bunch of options. Okuma Convector reels, and there rods are reasonably priced.

With four riggers, what are the other two going to be? My guess is two divers?

You want to use 40 pound or more braid for those. Most guys like to run the flasher/fly off there divers.

Nailer - Looks like the Okuma's come well recommended.......I see they come in different line capacity. I was thinking the 30 or 45 model. Any preference...I was leaning towards the biggest as I may take them to Florida in the winter. Any preference on which Okuma rod?

Sorry for all the questions......but this really helps!!

Thanks - Dan